1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Booting into windows me from xp.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bluebeast, Apr 21, 2004.

1. bluebeast

bluebeast Member

I have a hard drive that allready has windows me on it . I recently installed it into my other pc which is running xp. I have no problem viewing what is on the drive. But what I want to do is run windows me off it. Is that possible with out a big hassle. And is it possible to choose which os on start up?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

wassup..
    yea its possible..
    you'll need to edit your boot.ini file so it points to windows folder on the drive that has me on it..
    or
    you can setup the boot order in your bios so that you have the c drive boot first (xp) then have the d drive boot as the second device in the order (me). (this will only work if you have only one partition on the drive that has me..)
    hopefully your bios gives you the option of choosing the boot order on power up, then you can choose to boot from c or d drive.,

i'd personally recommend editing your boot.ini to point to me.. that way you can setup the timeout to be what you want and then choose the o/s or have it automatically choose after a certain amount of time..

check out changing your boot order or multiple os's on google or computing.net
    peace
    seamonkey420

3. bluebeast

bluebeast Member

Hey, Thx for the fast reply. I thought it maybe had something to do with the boot.ini. I just dont know what ta add to make it work. Iam a little new to these hard drive issues. By the way I have the one drive partitioned into 2 so its C and D. XP is on the C drive, So me is located on G, F and E being cdroms. Dont mean to be a pest but I could use all the help on the boot.ini that I can get . LOL thanks

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

this is what boot.ini should look like to choose which os to boot:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    G:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

Just add G:\ = "Microsoft Windows" to the end. Note: Your numbers (multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)) might not match mine, leave the numbers alone.

5. bluebeast

bluebeast Member

By the way the hard drive is from a HP Pavilion pc is that going to matter when trying to run me off it. I put it into a Alienware system.

6. erichm

erichm Guest

I am sorry to ask,

but why would you want to boot me at all? why not just use xp?

7. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

it should still work, you will know when you try to load it.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
    Pioneer 105, Memorex 4X DVD-R
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  8. bluebeast

bluebeast Member

Well I added that line, and it gave me the choice but when I chose the microsoft windows is just went to a black screen with a flashing cursor then back to the choice screen. Is there anything esle I can try before I just reformat it and use it for storage.

9. LordZuul

LordZuul Guest

Bluebeast, if you continue to have no luck with this (it usually has to do with what type of partitioning you used when you installed me), you may want to try something like System Command from vcom. I believe they are up to version 7.x. It has a pretty interface, and will allow you to add a whole swag of different OS to its menu as well as (and this is my personal favorite) having a second copy of the same operation system installed. I use this feature to test software away from my development environment, and having a clean operating system that I use while I am at work.

Give it a try...