1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Booting Problems. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kyle00, Jun 30, 2007.

1. kyle00

kyle00 Member

Hi i have a Gateway GT4010 with media center edition '05 nad i have been having the reoccuring problem of getting it to start up...when i press the power button all that happens is either the cpu fan starts up to high speed like it does to normally boot and stay there while the cd drive light and the activity light blink about 6 times and then quit and it stays in this state until you hold the button long enough or unplug it...i've heard that it could be a swollen capacitor or a power supply going bad BUT this computer is barely a year old i believe. Any Suggestions on a fix or what to do?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

look at the capacitors as doesn't matter for age.

3. kyle00

kyle00 Member

ok i cracked her open and all of the capacitors look nice and not swollen or exploded....of course i didn't check in the power box...i'm not quite sure if there are any inside there....as i'm more familar with the guts of an xbox rather than a PC....i'm backing up all my important things with plans to take it to the shop now because i believe that my warranty is up...and if there is anything you can think of that would not involve turning the computer off please let me know....its an absolute bitch to get running

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

could also be the psu as it has capacitors too.

5. kyle00

kyle00 Member

i see....well crapp i'm not exactly going to crack that open and look while its running....and i'm not turning it off because i'm not even sure if it will boot back up fully.....BUT thanks for your help man...i suppose i'll just take it to the shop

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Ever try taking the power cable out of the socket. I have an Acer Aspire that does this and that usually solves it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  7. kyle00

kyle00 Member

yes i have...and it will do the same thing..i end up having to unplug the thing numerous times until the blue power light finally comes on and it boots up....its becoming a real pain in the ass...you have no idea how hard it is to put a new HDD in your friends xbox with a computer that does this......we managed it tho....but i'm to the point where i'm just going to take it to best buy or something as soon as possible and i'm going to avoid turning it off as much as possible

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Call up gateway if it is still under warranty. If it is not, but it expired recently argue with them a bit, maybe they will work something out for you.