1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

booting slayer on xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by airpat182, Jun 18, 2004.

1. airpat182

airpat182 Member

i have a matrix chip installed in my xbox with an evox blue bios. evrything has gones smoothly until now. i've tried burning the slayer iso image to a cd-rw for 2 days now, i've probably burned and reburned 15 times. the drive can't read the disk, i have a thomson disk drive so maybe that's the problem. the cd-rw disk is a imation disk. i've used nero for the image burning proccess. somebody help!!!!!!!
    -patrick

2. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

first off, dont use an rw, that is just big headache. you should use a dvd-r they should boot on the first or second try. if you dont have access to a dvd burner, then, no joke, it could take you a few dozen times before your drive will read the disk.

check your IM
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Athlon 2700+, ASUS A7N8X DLX Mobo, 80gb & 120 gb Maxtor HD, 128mb Asylum Video Card, 1 gb Kingston 3200 DDR hyper X, Memorex +/- DVD burner, 52x CD burner, XP Pro OS

Modded Xbox w/ Xecuter2 Lite plus & 250gb hdd
    Modded XBox w/ Chameleon Chip & 120gb h[/small]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  3. airpat182

airpat182 Member

thanks for your response. the xbox keeps on making sounds like it is trying to read the disk, but in the end if fails. i coppied it at 4x. maybe i'm burning the image incorrectly. i'm using nero. the proccess i use goes like this ; i chose burn image, choose the lowest write speed "4x" and select burn iso, then i select the slayer file named "SlaYer's EvoX Auto-Installer v2.5FINAL.iso" maybe i installed the bios incorrectly because there is no sign of it when i turn the xbox on. i know i installed it correctly but u never know. i wish i had access to a dvd burner but i don't, what should i do?????
    -thanks

4. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

in nero, depending on what verions you have, you need to cancel out of the wizard or whatever that is so you just have a blank nero. The version I have is 6 so I just go to recorder menu option at the to and select burn image. on previous versions I think that is from the file menu. there are two image file types, .bin and .cue, I believe you need to choose the .cue and then burn away. its not a large file so burn it at 4x or less, it has better compatability at lower speeds

5. airpat182

airpat182 Member

thanks for your response. i use nero 6 ultra edition. and burn from the plain grey screen. i select "burn image" and go on from there.

-thanks

6. UncleT

UncleT Member

I could never get Nero 5.5 to work for me. But in Nero 6 if you start by clicking UDF/ISO, then when you get to the options section there is a UDF tab. When you click on that you will see a "force dvd compatibility-xbox" box. After I found that my Philips is reading every one.

7. airpat182

airpat182 Member

i tried burning that way but it still doesn't work because i have a thomson drive, maybe i burned it wrong??? i don't think so, i doubt myself too often about this stuff.

8. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

i dont know what to tell you, but you have try over and over again because it could take dozens of times before it can take. you need access to a dvd burner, that will solve all of your problems. you might try using different media, sometimes cheap media could be the cause. I know slayers is a decent size burn, but you might also try adding a dummy file on the disk.

9. airpat182

airpat182 Member

i found out the problem, the bios won't flash correctly. I keep on trying to flash my matrix mod chip with evox 2.5 blue and it won't work. i've used win lpc and some other program, and it won't flash. the program coppies the bios and verifies it successfully but when i unplug the programer and and plug it in again it says there is no bios. what am i doing wrong??? installed my mod chip anyway to see what would happen and when #1 and #2 switches are on, the xbox works and when i flip the #1 switch off to set the xbox in the main mod mode the screen it black. when i push the on switch, the xbox turns on and off on and off and finally on again to only show a black screen, does that mean there is no bios installed????? if so, how do i install it because i'm having trouble keeping the bios on the mod after i write it. can somebody help?????????????????

10. UncleT

UncleT Member

Are you using the right version of WinLPT? There's a version for WinME and another for Win2000/XP. Also, seeing as how you're at the flashing/aligning stage, you might want to use a newer bios like evoxM_7.

11. airpat182

airpat182 Member

good idea. i'll try using a new bios and i'll check which version of winlpc i'm using.

-thanks

12. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

if that doesnt work, try flashing with a disk instead of programmer.

13. airpat182

airpat182 Member

u can flash a matrix with a disk?????? how???????

-thanks

14. UncleT

UncleT Member

Oops sorry. There ARE two versions of WinLPT. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with modchips. Been a while since I played with my matrix.

If you have an auto-installer on disc most have an option to flash your chip. Just set the matrix to mode 4 and flash away. Gotta get the xbox to read the disc tho.

15. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

I have a question, if you guys dont mind, but i have the slayers evox auto installer iso file and it says in a readme document that it has everything included. Bios, dashboard, software, everything. So my question is, why is airpat flashing his memory another more confusing way, rather than just installing the chip and popping the cd in letting it do all the work????
    I am confused b/c im new at this stuff, and i would greatly appreciate if anyone can answer me.
    Yours Truly,

ATIROCKS

16. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

because before you can even run slayers you need to flash the chip. otherwise the xbox will not read the disk. what most people do is just flash it with any ol working flash, then use slayers to upgrade the flash and install the apps.

17. blackrain

blackrain Member

I have the same Thompson drive in my box. The only cd-rw I know that works fine with the drive would be memorex.....

18. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Yeah, same for me, memorex i havent really tried any other media except for cd-rs, which dont work. I tried a dvd-r that i made which had a movie and it detected it, but i needed the dvd playback kit;)

p.s- where can i find a flash file?? From xbins or something, b/c when i was at xbins i downloaded the file of evox, in it was all this stuff like official/unofficial, installers, tools. Where do i find the flash file and what does it look like?

p.p.s- thanks for answering my other question, it was really appreciated!

p.p.p.s- hold on, i think i found in the official file under old. Is it called evolutionx_beta_1.8.2812. In it stiff like evox.ini, default.xbe, skins and bios. In bios there is EvoxV2.4.bin. Is that the file i flash the chip with????Could someone really help me? Again i will really really appreciate it!!!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  19. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

ATIROCKS,

Im a little confused in what you are asking but,

1. is you are trying to flash the chip you do not need the dvd playback kit. if the xbox is asking for the dvd playback kit and you have NOT flashed your chip yet, then it means your chip is not hitting the mobo right and is not even detecting the chip at all.

or if you already have flashed the chip and it is asking for the dvd playback kit, then you need to install DVD-X which allows you to play movies without the need for the kit. it is included with slayers.

2. as far as finding the flash file, I cant tell you where because of the rules of afterdawn, but what I can tell you is that a lot of people get confused on what a flash is and that what sounds like what you are having. the "evox" that you downloaded from xbins is not a flash, it is a dashboard called "evolution X", which people call "evox" for short. what you need is what is called a bios, and there is another "evolution X" which is a bios and not a dashboard. once you are there, get any evolution X M7 bios, put it on a dvd and add a dummy file with it so the disk could read it. Also, you need to make sure your chip is alligned correctly.

20. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Thanks guys for all your help!!!It was greatly appreciated. Now i have two cds ready. One has EvolutionX_V1_8_3752. I read the tutorial from the evox site. I followed every instruction. In this folder i noticed that there wasnt a bios folder to be seen. I continued to read and they said that you didnt need a bios folder, only if you were to flash it later on. So i agreed and made the cd. First im gonna install what is ever on the cd-rw via ftp, then get my slayers cd-rw and do that. B/c that is more recent. But iam worried that if i want to upgrade the bios i cant because that bios folder wasnt there. :(

Now here is the question, after i installed everything off slayers, is it possible for me to flash my chip again in the future?

p.s: i am gonna order the mod-chip soon, probobally the exucuter 2.3b lite plus

p.p.s: im just getting prepared, you know, im anxious.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004