1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxed or OEM Processors

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Basenco, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Basenco

Basenco Regular member

I saw an advertisement for a Intel Q6600 which states that it is a boxed Core 2 Quad Processor. Is there a difference when purchasing. Can someone explain. Thanks.

2. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

I think the only difference between OEM and boxed processors is that the boxed comes with heatsink and fan (HSF), where is OEM is ONLY the processor with nothing else.

If you intend to overclock, I think you should buy the OEM version, and then purchase an aftermarket HSF. If you are not going to overclock for sure, then the boxed version should be fine.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I'd check the warranty, too. Usually, OEM warranties are good for a far lesser time than retail.

4. silk42

silk42 Regular member

The boxed processors used to have a longer warranty. I'm not sure if that's still the case, so do some research before basing a decision on it.

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Last time I bought an OEM E6400 it was a one year warranty compared to three years for the boxed version. I would get the OEM version, I've never seen a CPU fail without some outside cause, and the warranty doesn't cover that. The CPU CAN fail, but it wont be doing so in three years.

6. Basenco

Basenco Regular member

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. The warranty is definitely for 3 years. Also, the price was outstanding...$199.98 at a Micro Center store here in the Pennsylvania area.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

That is AMAZING. Do they sell it online too?

8. Basenco

Basenco Regular member

Only in the store and only (1) purchase per household. Check microcenter.com and see if there is one near you.