1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boycott MPAA &RIAA stop funding a witch hunt

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by elliott, Mar 17, 2005.

1. elliott

elliott Regular member

It's time to boycott the studios, do without your video, movie, and music fix. It's tine to really show them how much money we the persecuted public really spend on their procucts.
    They assume we all download everything illegal, not so most of the things I have ever downloaded and liked I bought. I now refuse to fund their witch hunt, and will boycott by not using anything other than previously viewed, and second hand means of purchaseing such as fleamarkets,music trading posts, and video rental stores selling second hand. No more will I spend $22 on something I can obtain at half.com or ebay and the like. No more we have to drawn the line just as they have. Sure some one will find a new hack to go around the security flaws, and protect file sharers but why should we have to protect ourselves. We need to stand up to them and say we want lower prices and downloadable legal ways of purchasing our media. We need to stop funding them with our purchases. We also need to protect oursleves from the ever present danger of file sharing. They need to come up with solutions that appeal to us besides the latest rebate and sale at your local media store.

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey slick....I am SO with you on this one...

I say...once they see how much of a dent in their profits, they'll learn.

Like I read somewhere....surprised no one has done a site yet. *hint, hint* ;)

3. elliott

elliott Regular member

I new how to host a site I would perhaps one of our members here could do that and we could all log on to a letter stating we are boycotting. Just wanted to get the ball rolling. We whine about them going after us for illegal filesharing yet we still buy stuff. We have to use our muscle the $$$ in the latest ADnewsletter is says they wanna start raising prices for online music lol I'm not buying the price is already to high considering I burn and use my own disc and ink to create covers.

4. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Please...buying music online, is like buying a tank top in December.

Totally useless...

I for one, don't see a point in buying, whether it be downloading/or cd, music...only reason people do that is because they don't know how to hide their files. ;)

But you didn't hear that from me! LOL!

5. meatsack

meatsack Member

I add to the BOYCOTT THEORY. If I cant get it online I just make due without it. If everyone started doing this maybe they would realize that they need to stop b*tchin about "illegal" downloading. Ive heard of some smaller, unrepresented muscicians getting their start online when people began to hear their music. Its not like the major companies are really taken that big of a hit. Its more about power and them getting MORE money. I say screw them!!! Here is a good start--invest in a dvd/cd burner and rent videos at the local video store and burn them if you like them. Also check your local library. Alot of libraries carry tons of movies and music which you can check out for free or for just a few bucks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  6. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Hey I am with anyone who wants to go after these vampires. I am still working on why it is okay if I get a PPV movie and record it with my DVD Recorder but if I burn a rental of same movie I am a criminal.

7. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Here here, you know it!!!

Well, actually...this is about to be considered illegal, the MPAA and RIAA are trying to kill the whole DVR and TIVO set boxes. Because they are saying it is just as illegal to tape shows then to burn movies. I have the article on another thread I think, but if I find it, I will paste it up on this thread!

;)

8. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I know I have Tivo and they can't wait to get me. I had VCR for years and that was okay, it is only since DVD has taken off that the entertainment industry is out to get everyone. It is their own fault with being to concerned about being fat cats, and not seeing that the technology was advancing beyond them. Ah, I am just getting paranoid in my advancing years.

9. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Nope, you most certainly are not!

You right, technology is rising faster than security. But the funny thing is is that the RIAA and the MPAA are just trying to put a strangle hold on people because they think they have a better idea. They think they are going to lose money, when in fact, they are actually gaining alot of money. Some artists who don't EVEN have record deals and such are making names for themselves just due to p2p programs themselves. Here is one article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35297-2005Mar14.html

This is something that is going to be happening ALOT in the future. And with Cuban backing p2p, whatever his intentions are, it will definately be a battle of wits. Personally, I think that those "rebel" programmers who spend their days decyphering encryption codes, and coming out with programs that break all types of encryption for media, are considered GODS in my book. If not for them, aD and other sites wouldn't be in operation, this is meant as a general statement. Because if you look around, the majority of stuff people talk about is burning, decrypting, and so forth.

So, this is going to be a HUGE tug-of-war! And with the Kazaa verdict coming into play here really soon, this is only the beginning. But GOD is it going to be a good fight!!!

;)

10. elliott

elliott Regular member

hey that a was a great link downloaded the files for "OutFoxed" will convert and watch tonight. Well so far there are only 3 members on this thread lets hope we get some more attention. I do think it is ridiculous the news I hear that they want to stop people sharing over broadcast sharing of tv series. I mean if I record that to watch later that's ok but if I send it over bittorrent oops I have just done something illegal. When will hollywood grow up for decades now I could have purchased a pirate in the fleamarket heck my first viewing of Rocky Horror Picture Show came from a pirate didn't stop me from buying the anniversary dvd.
    I have to admit venom I haven't loaded anything in recent months because of fear they busted some people in my city and that just squelched my desire. Mostly I dloaded tv shows I missed. Perhaps if I knew how to hide my files but I really want a legal solution if they could come to terms with one. I have used movielink so I could take some flicks with me on vacation and play from my laptop to tv in hotel picture is pretty good but for the price I would like to be able to burn and save. Well that's all for now, welcome to the thread "meatsack" and "arniebear"

11. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

I agree elliot. There are going to be some BIG changes in the next coming months and years in regards to p2p apps, downloading, and the RIAA/MPAA. I have a lot more links that cover alot of stuff from what I have read in the paper, Business Magazines, and the articles that are put up by Dela on AfterDawn. More and more people are starting to see really GREAT uses of using p2p. Honestly, who wants to pay a cd, where the only songs you like are 1 and 12. I know I don't, and this is a great thing in this day and age, because now, we have almost over 15 or so different p2p apps to choose from, as apposed to a couple of years ago, when there was only like napster and kazaa.

This technology that we have available is a curse yet it is a pleasure to have. As more and more people are starting to get HSI, those who do have HSI, are always seeing a benefit for downloading things. Now, with fiber optics entering the mainstream, right now they are testing them in Texas and Virginia, we are going to see ALOT of different things happening, and soon the government is going to step in. Knowone knows when, but it is going to get out of control. Hopefully, the MPAA/RIAA will see the overall beneficial use of p2p apps.

But I highly don't think that is going to happen anytime soon!

;P