1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand: Dr. Hank 16x

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by fallen_br, Apr 11, 2002.

1. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

Those CD's are the absolute cheapest I've ever seen. Dr. Hank is a well-known brand in South America, and sell for about US$0.2/disc in large quantities, or, in some places, can reach even US$0.13/disc.
    Hardcovered and sturdy looking.
    This brand, some time ago, used Gigastorage media, now it has resorted to lower quality ones.

Dr. Hank 16x Shine Blue:
    ATIP: 97m 27s 28f
    Disc Manufacturer: Princo Co.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Notice the "Shine Blue" on the media name? Yes, it's Cyanine, a cyanine that looks darker than Ritek 1 and TY but lighter than AzoBlue or CMC 0.
    Notice how the ATIP says Phthalocyanine?
    This is just enough to generate a bad disc on most writers, and the "cheap cyanine" part should warrant no high-speed recording for it. Absolutely terrible.

2. jase

jase Guest

You're mistaken there. Princo uses a patented cyanine-phthalocyanine hybrid dye which has a lot of the benefits of both dye types, but needs to be written to with a short strategy. Trust me when I say that Princo media can be written at obscenely fast speeds with no problems -- I have some old 8x Princos which burn just fine at 40x!!!

They also have the benefit of working very well in DVD players. We have a lot of them here in the UK, and they are by no means bad discs, in fact I'd say they're better than Gigastorage.

3. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

Hmmm... Guess I should give it some tries then, I didn't know this, the blue color had me fooled.
    No problems with durability?

Edit: How about sun resistance?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2002