1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand: GQ Great Quality CD-R's (that's the brand name, not necessarily my opinion)

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by fyvm666, Jul 18, 2002.

1. fyvm666

fyvm666 Member

I started trying to burn VCD's several months ago. Many times I would burn a VCD and put it in my standalone GE DVD player - usually it would simply eject the CD, occasionally it would display "VCD", but never would it even begin to play the VCD. Then I recently tried it again and burnt to a CD-R labeled "GQ Great Quality" "80min 2x-12x" and it played just fine. When I ran out of those, I used CD-R's labeled "GQ Great Quality" "32x 80min" assuming them to be similar. Indeed, those also worked just fine, that is VCD's play quite well, but SVCD's play for a while then begin dropping several seconds of program at a time. I assumed this to be a shortcoming of the not-very-new DVD player. Okay - then I saw your reference to CDRIdentifier. Out of curiosity, I looked at the GQ 12x and was given the following: ATIP: 97m27s28f, Disc Manufacturer: Princo Co. Recording layer: Dye(Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine) nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f/LBA: 359849). So far, so good. Then I looked at the GQ 32x expecting similar information. Instead I got ATIP: 97m26s51f, Disc Manufacturer: Lead Data Inc. Recording layer: Dye(Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc) nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f/LBA: 359849). So, different manufacturer, different strategy, yet they both work in my DVD player while others (including Mitsubishi, CMC, and Ritek, long and short strategies) do not work. All were burned on a Lite-On 121032 at 8x or 4x with Fireburner or Nero. Any comments ??

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Hrm..perhaps you would like to use ENTER-button slightly more often?

3. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

Well, even without a lot of enter-pressing in the original post, I'm gonna give my $0.02 on this matter.

To put it simply, IMO, the 12x, Princo-made discs are great discs, and I use them as my backup media, have never failed me in all the time I've used Princo.

On the other hand, the 32x, Lead-data discs are some of the worst discs ever made, I wouldn't use this disc to burn anything, not even to give it to people.

The newer 40x/48x GQ discs are said to be Prodisc, which are great for data, but not as compatible as the Princos, which will run in any CD-reading device, but definitely MUCH better than the Lead Datas.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2002