1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand : Laser

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by Byron05, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Byron05

Byron05 Guest

Laser 80mins 40x Silver CD-R
    I've seen a 50 pack of these cd's for $20 AUD, does anyone have a ATIP for them, or can tell me if they are any good.

2. glenn-Oz

glenn-Oz Guest

I bought a couple of 700 mb laser cdr's about 18 months ago burnt some audio to them and theyre still going ok, however i wouldnt buy thier cdrw as i got 2 and bot were useless after a couple of burns,remember you only get what u pay for.
    ps. they werent advertised in the kmart catologue were they, and if your nick is a sign of where you live Byron Bay, the ballina store havent got them in yet

3. Lokky

Lokky Member

Laser CD's are rubbish. I've only bought one spindle of the gold 40X speed, but that was enough.

The first 500Mb was ok with no errors, but from there the number of errors increases heaps as it approaches the outer areas of the CD.

Here's the ATIP info for the laser gold 40X if that helps you.

ATIP : 97m 27s 06f
    Disc Manufacturer : Digital Storage Technology Co., Ltd
    Recording Layer : Dye(short strategy eg Phthalocyaninie )
    Nominal Capacity : 702.83Mb
    Recording Speeds : min. unknown - max. unknown

Maybe you do get what you pay for ?

4. jase

jase Guest

DST are a funny manufacturer.

The "errors" on the disc after 5/600Mb appear to be due to bad balance/centering of the tracking spiral. Whether you write the discs at 2x or 52x you get the same problem. Most strange. And all their discs seem to do it. Much like the new *WD-001* Riteks.

The good news though is that these discs hold up well. I've had some two years that I've done some accelerated aging tests on, and they stay OK just as long as any Prodisc or Ritek. And they burn at much higher than their rated speeds without problems -- 16x media burning at 52x with low C1 error rates when read back at 16x.

Basically these discs won't take high-speed reading, but there aren't any errors as such, the drive mechanism just has to slow down to keep track.

They aren't brilliant media. But there are worse discs about!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2003