1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new CPU overheating

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 2sweet4u, Nov 3, 2005.

1. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

Yeah I know what you're saying. I didn't do what you think I did, I mean I quite literally followed the instructions from the arctic silver website.

I didn't actually touch anything with my bare finger, or spread it at all on top of the processers heat spreader. And yeah, I have more than enough to do it again. By blob, I didn't mean a big blob, just used it as I had no other word to explain it.

Oh well, I'll try again and this time I'll spread it (using a toothpick) I just thought it would be impossible to go wrong if I followed the official instructions.

EDIT: P.S.
    A whole nother question.. any idea why my fan speed wont pass 2792? It says it can reach 5500 RPM or something.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  2. rugripper

rugripper Guest

wait wait wait.how did you apply the stuff?you have to cover that whole big processor with a very thin layer of thermal stuff[as5]ok?it has to be evenly spead in a very thin layer i mean a layer not a drop of stuff on each and put together.i put a thin layer on cpu then i do the same with heatsink.when you put together do not push down on heatsink for you may damage processor.with me so far?

oh yea what kind of heatsink did you buy?

sorry,i thought you put a blob in the middle,moved it around alittle and smashed the two together and said look mom no hands[lol]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2005
  3. DemonDog

DemonDog Regular member

Everest MAY be giving you a bad reading. Look for other programs that will give you a reading of the cpu temp. Check out sites relative to your motherboard, there may be even a specialized program for it. My DFI came with ITE Guardian and it gives temps and controls the fans.

I think cpu-z will give cpu temps. It's free.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Motherboard monitor (IF your mobo is in its database) is another good one.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311

Also your diode sensor could be bad on the mobo. I don't believe you've ever answered if the chip FELT HOT. Leave the case open and touch the heat sink, if it ain't hot then your getting a spurrious reading.

First try these other programs.

4. rugripper

rugripper Guest

make sure the fan has the little jumper on it so its in automatic so you can get the 5000 rpms.didnt you get a fan speen thing with that hs and fan combo

hey dog,
    finally got this witch overclocked thanks

5. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

My case is open. Anything that I can touch on my fan and/or heatsink is cool as a cucumber. (The computer is on)

I actually have a program that came with my motherboard, but it was giving me ridiculous readings like (with the first heat sink/paste it was giving me like.. 8/480 F (yes, 480))..

and then earlier when I first installed the arctic silver 5 i was getting something like 11/50.. now I'm getting a steady 28/82.. but .. I don't think I can trust it after it's givin me 480 F and 11 C as readings.

I also have a program called speed fan that gives me similair readings to everests. Give or take 1 or 2 degree.

P.S. I got CPU-Z but i can't find anything about temperatures on that program.

edit:
    P.P.S nothing came in the box with my fan at all except for the fan/heatsink

6. rugripper

rugripper Guest

where did you buy it?dosent it say anything on it?is it the stock heatsink?

7. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

Bought it on tiger direct. these are the specs..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=T925-2062

go to the bottom

edit: On the program that came with my mobo, that says 28-30 C now.. when I played CS and then minimized quickly I would see.. 47 C, and then after a few seconds itd drop down to like 40 C, and then slowly decrease. and then I closed CS and its back down to 28-30..

I would think it was accurate.. but for some reason everest and speedfan were giving me like.. 70 C while on CS.

8. rugripper

rugripper Guest

what kind of thermal compound did you buy?
    dont tell me you bought the ocz garbage!!!!!please dont tell me that?

OCZ Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound ,,is this what you bought?

9. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

Arctic Silver 5. By the way, look at the post above the one you just made, I edited something onto it. Somewhat irrelevant, but I thought i'd just share.

10. rugripper

rugripper Guest

hey man i think you need to put that fan is high.didnt it come with a fan speed?put it in full speed it will drop to 32c.40c under load aint bad but your only running the fan on low.

when i poped open that site i saw that garbage next to your hs.thought you bought that bad reviews on that garbage.they make good ram bad artic silver[lol]

11. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

there is something seriously wwrong here. I have the same chip and the stock heatsink that came with the cpu. I never even bothered to use artic silver or even looked if there was a thermal pad on the heatsink...i just put it together and heres my temps....

Motherboard 36 °C (97 °F)
    CPU 39 °C (102 °F)
    GPU 59 °C (138 °F)
    GPU Ambient 53 °C (127 °F)

This sitting here typing and running a overclock of 2.5 on a stock 2.2 chip..lol

With that tusanmi heat sink you should be cooler than me. Did you overclock your system? If so did you raise the cpu voltage?

I kinda leaning towards bad mobo sensor or maybe you crank the voltage to high for the cpu or overclocking to much. Reset the bios to factory defaults and then upgrade the bios to current. You may have a bad bios giving wrong temp settings.

Last.....over at your local auto parts store or sears they sell infrared thermoneters for 50 usd or so. Go buy one. It shines laser beam and gives you temp settings. Shine it right on the heatsink and see what the actual temp is.

I wouldnt be surprised if these were your issues...cause like I said I never bothered to check on the stock heatsink what they used...just slapped it together and cross my fingers and im doing fine.

:>

12. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out, how to put the fan on high speed. Nothing came in the box except the fan.

13. rugripper

rugripper Guest

there should be a little wire with a three pin thing on it besides the plug that goes in pc mobo right?

14. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

You mean a wire attatched to a wire? (Just asking because thats how my case fans were, when in silent mode)

Mine is just the fan/heatsink with one solid wire that plugs directly into the motherboard. A 3 pin socket that says CPU_FAN on it.

15. rugripper

rugripper Guest

yea man,your temps are high cause of that stock junk.i have this,not the red one,the newer blue one.samething though:

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/asusicecooler/

this was a bitch to put on but look at my temps crazy kool at 2200 rpms @5000 rpms with a full load ,lets say,fear for a half hour,i get temps of 35c its going lower as the s--ts breaks in.

you dude look at this speed fan controllers

16. rugripper

rugripper Guest

do you have cool and quit in bios?or the software that came with mobo can you adjust the speed from there?

17. rugripper

rugripper Guest

im looking in thermaltake trying to figure out how to max your fan out

18. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

yeah i was looking but no luck. i also checked the bios for cool n quiet. no luck. but someone else told me that may be the problem.

I cant change the fan speed with my mobo software either :/
    frustrating.

19. rugripper

rugripper Guest

hey man,that fan you have has a thermal switch in it.this means when,in theroy,this cpu gets hot enough this baby will kick into over driver.your idle cooling should be between 32c-35c and your full load will be from 38c-42c so it sounds like you did an excellant job on that heatsink....kool man...peace told you it was easy.

you freak me when you said:"i put a big blob in the middle,rub around with finger,and slapped those babies together.i said to myself:hes going to be buying a new pc soon[lol

watch your temps anyway

did you look at the monster on my board?

20. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

Yeah I did it's nice. Anyway thanks for all your help I guess I'll stop worrying for now.