1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new CPU overheating

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 2sweet4u, Nov 3, 2005.

1. rugripper

rugripper Guest

yea dont worry,if the thermal switch never kicks in thats good cause the thermal compound job was good.but if it does kick on try to see what temp its on maybe it kicks on a 39-40c but when that kicks on you will hear it,it will sound like a air conditioner you put in window.30db is pretty load thats what your hs is at full 5000rpms.

go play cs and disarm that bomb,hurry its gooooing off...too late...terrorists win[lol]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2005
  2. berty642

berty642 Regular member

Hi
    Check out here for a prog called speed fan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php You can adjust your fan speeds through it and its free, make sure you read all first before you start and there is a lot. Its giving me more sensible reading than the programme i was using OmniGaurdian that came bundled with my mobo. Using the old prog it was telling me my system temp was 20c and my Cpu was 45-50c.The maximum rated speed for my fan is 2300 rpm. Speedfan is now reporting.
    CASE 35c
    CPU 40c - 42c UNDER LOAD
    CHIPSET 42c
    HDD 29c
    I was also looking at the paste that camewith my heatsink and it says that the paste will not reach optimum performance untill 200 hours of use

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  3. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

Actually my computer locked up again, so I don't know what to do. BIOS says 38, the program that came with my motherboard is abosultely incorrect, there's no way I can have 30 C idle if I have 38 C inside of the BIOS.

So, 55 (with everest and speefan)is about average idle even after cleaning and reinstalling the arctic silver several times. Trying several different methods. No temp changes.

I don't think it's a problem with the way I'm installing my heatsink and paste, because temps are bound to have changed for better or worse after reinstalling it so many times.

It's got to be something else, but I can't imagine what..

edit: and speedfan wont let me control my CPU fans speed. and even though its such a high temp it still hasnt kicked into its 5500 RPM mode.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  4. berty642

berty642 Regular member

Hi
    Did you get the configuration settings for your motherboard? Click on info and then get config button, you wil need to register to get the settings, but that will give you full control over the speeds,make sure you read the help and how to file that came with it

5. rugripper

rugripper Guest

hey man try this,

there has to be another 3pin connector on that mobo for a fan.plug into that other 3 pin connector and see if that works for you.maybe other 3 pin sensor is bad.the bios shouldnt be wrong.thats what controls your pc.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2005
  6. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

Thanks for the suggestions.
    SpeedFan doesn't have any configs for my motherboard

And I tried putting the CPU fan in all 3 connects, one after the other. Never increased speed.

7. rugripper

rugripper Guest

maybe the heatsink is bad.that would really suck.im going to look and see what temp that thing is suppose to kick on.this sucks,figured you were fine.one more thing your a girl arent you cant see a dude writing 2 sweet for u[lmao]i just red your name today[funny]

8. rugripper

rugripper Guest

hey,i was just thinking.look at the bottom of you heatsink.you see hows there is two different levels,one higher then the other.do you see where your processor is.that white thing with the processor in it has a high and low to it.if you dont install that heatsink over that lip on that white thing you may be shorting the board out.if that heatsink hits that white thing that the cpu is in.it wont work right.do you see what i am trying real hard[lol]to explain.maybe you have the heatsink backwards that will cause big problems

9. DemonDog

DemonDog Regular member

If you want the fan to run at full speed all the time then you can use a three pin to molex adapter and plug the sucker into a free molex. That will run the fan at max.

10. rugripper

rugripper Guest

11. bharris29

bharris29 Guest

Hi,
    You guys are killing me with your temperture problems or lack of. First of all AMD 64 CPU's are designd to run upto 70C so as long as your below this threshold your fine. And for those of you that think temperture has anything to do with speed it most certainly does not. If a computer is rebooting and the CPU temp is under manufatures max threshold. Then the problem is some where els and most likely in the video hardware or software. Most laptop run at these temps all the time. If your around the 60-65C range just have fun and play a game stop worrying about it.

12. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

I'm pretty sure it goes over 60-65 when the computer is on full load.. that's pretty bad.

And, I have easy tune, that's one of the things that was bothering me also. I can't use the smart fan section, it's grayed out.

13. rugripper

rugripper Guest

but she is having probs with shut down and freezing because of high temps

try and redownload from gigabyte.damn this is a hard one[lol]at least we are on the right track now.sounds like something is wrong with software or heatsink is not compatable,put original back to see if software,easy...works after you try and redownload and reinstall software,ok?

14. DemonDog

DemonDog Regular member

15. rugripper

rugripper Guest

16. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Where do ya live 2 sweet? I will come over fix it and then you can enjoy it...:>

17. rugripper

rugripper Guest

lmao@oz....thats a good one bro[lol]wish i would have thought of that...lol...peace

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2005
  18. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

update: I turned the heatsink around,still no temp drop

19. rugripper

rugripper Guest

was it backwards?

did you go to the download place i left?.i think your software is screwed up.if your bios is reading that the cpu is fine.this is a big problem.you have to try and fix that easy tune.

i dont have that mobo so i cant really tell you how easy tune works but from what i red its sort of the brains,change on the fly,of your pc bios.for some reason the sensor isnt reading the temps right.your bios should match everest pretty close.like mine is within a degree or so but your bios is usally right,dont get it.hey let me say this is the hardest problem ive ever seen and im surprized only like 3 people besides myself are helping you.like oz said to bad you dont live close so i could rip it apart and fix it.go on the gigabyte site and contact tech support or if it was pre-built[store bought]call the manu.im at a loss,dont really know what to tell you about this prob.it souldnt be that much involved.pretty much put on the artic silver,snap it into place,plug in,and your done.you have to have something seriously wrong,because people do read these posts and you have like almost 300,crazy,and if they thought they could help they would have.especially one in perticular i can think of,i will leave him nameless.he knows who he is[lol]i dont know what to tell you sweety.....peace...i tried

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2005
  20. rugripper

rugripper Guest

whats up?how are you doing?i hope you found the software and now your easy tune works.just wondering.....peace