1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new CPU overheating

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by 2sweet4u, Nov 3, 2005.

1. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

When you applied your AS5 you should have used a "blob" the size of a grain of rice if you use to much it has the opposite effect, it sounds like you have installed your HSF correctly and your temps have come down a bit. Do you have AMD's cool'n'quite installed ? if not you can download it from here, your using XP right ?http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/amdcpu.exe this should help lower your temps a bit more.
    Clawhammers tend to run hot anyway 50c ish @ idle & 60c ish load on stock HSF so yours seems to be doing alright with your thermaltake HSF, don't rely on you mobo's diode sensor to much as they can be out by as much as 10c, mine reads 48.5c from the abit software using the diode whilst my aftermarket temp sensor reads 38.5c, which i'm more inclined to belive as i tested it along side a thermometer before installing it.

2. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

Alright, thanks. Yeah, I realized the clawhammers run hotter, but the thing that is actually bothering me is not that it's 50ish idle, but that it actually goes up past 70 when full load.. it's going up over 20 degrees on full load and even causing my computer to lock up.

And this is also with the case open.

edit: I downloaded that Cool'n'Quiet dashboard but I don't understand what it does? It just shows me Power Savings : min, CPU speed 100% and CPU voltage 1.5V

But there is nothing you can actually do with it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  3. rugripper

rugripper Guest

what happened to your easy tune?did you ever fix it?

4. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

I downloaded all updates and stuff for my motherboard.. i reinstalled easy tune with the one from the site. No luck for me.

5. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Then if one of us isnt close enough to come over to fix it....then I would suggest a pc repair shop or at leat getting a real thermoneter to monitor temps not the mobo sensor. Like the one guy said the temp could be reading wrong on the mobo. If all else fails rma the cpu and the mobo.....get your money pack.

Then get ya self a san diego core which runs cooler and 939 socket board like epox or asus. I only know one guy on this forumn that uses a gigabyte board's like yours, but my gut says they are just cheap crappy boards. My epox board Im running has everything except sli mode and was less than 90 usd......half what a asus board is....and I have no problems other than the temp and voltage sensors are screwey. But I think they all are.

I monitor mine with a dvom for voltage and a infrared thermoneter like I suggested and you can see the mobo sensors are off, but it dont interfere with the performance.

So either you did something wrong and or the cpu or mobo is defective. So rma while ya can and if you can get ya money back get a 939 socket board and cpu. The 939 san diego core cpu does run cooler than the clawhammer does...:>

6. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

Well I was trying to build the computer without spending too much money. I thought about scrapping this motherboard/cpu bundle for a 939 bundle.. but.. then I realized that my graphics card is AGP. I don't feel like throwing aside all this stuff I paid for, and then have to buy a PCI express graphics card.

Also, when I first got the CPU, I remember reading a bunch of junk on the package talking about how CPUs can't be returned no matter what because they are all tested, blah blah. Maybe I'll just have to get another motherboard.

7. rugripper

rugripper Guest

well this asrock939-sata2 mobo has both interfaces agp and pci-e.also pretty fast transfer with games and such compared to this crap pc i had before,emachines 2825/i had the oppisite happening,my pc would shut down cause the gpu on the vga was getting around 75-80c and shutting pc down.thats why i kept asking if it was your gpu you were seeing the temps on.your positive its the cpu you are looking at though.hey,i live in nj,usa.if im close i will look at it.what did the mobo company say?its probably not the processor,it sounds like a sensor issue.you should send back heatsink buy one you can adjust manually.instead of the one you have that works thermally.the problem really is that,that heatsink wont kick in to full gear.send that back,get one that does,ok?putting a heatsink on cpu isnt that hard,has to be a problem with bad heatsink or mobo.try heatsink first.go to comp usa or something,you can have it today....peace

8. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

On a friend of mines computer:
    inside of his bios, it says his temperature is 48-50, and then when he gets on windows, it's still 48-50.. and on full load it reaches about 60.

Mine, when inside of the bios, is 10 degree LESS than his,.. about 38-40 degrees. So, I guess I want to ask, is it normal for my computer to be 10-15 degrees hotter idle in windows than idle in bios? I mean, I even left it on idle for over an hour inside of the bios and it never passed 41-42 degrees.

I was thinking maybe my computer was reading the graphics card temperature as my CPU temperate, but I highly doubt that..
    How much would it cost me for something to check the temperature externally? I'll take the cheapest one that works because I don't need any special features.

9. rugripper

rugripper Guest

hey sweety try this:this will explain alittle for you,also try mbm5[motherboard monitor 5]too bad your not close,cause i have the one that goes under the cpu with thermal tape.i would give it to you,i dont need it .but try this:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16364

cause if you were looking at a gpu[graphic processing unit]this is a whole new ball game.place a house fan directly at video card then run the shit out of your pc.play some high ghraphic games and see if it shuts down if it doesn`t you need a better heatsink and fan on you graphics card or keep that fan blasting at that card like i did till i built this pc.no need to do that anymore,thank god[lol]hope im helping you,feel bad its taking so long.....peace

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2005
  10. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Im in pa if its anything closer. They do have a socket 939 board that takes agp...take a look....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123230

Not a bad price. A little outdated considering it has a nforce 3 chipset and the latest is nforce 4 which is a pci x board, but it will handle the san diego core fine.

It has everything including raid and sata. The only bad thing it has 2 sata conectors instead of the usual 4, but all good.

This is what I was talking bout...a infrared thermoneter you can find at any hardware or tool shop.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=03482327000

There ya go. Point or shoot. Or a regular meat thermoter would work. The laser is better cause you can point it at the heatsink and find true temp, but you can as easily tape or hold the meat thermometer against the heatsink and monitor temp too. This will tell ya if its really overheating or just a mobo with a bad sensor....:>

11. rugripper

rugripper Guest

12. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

The only thig wrong with that IR temp sensor is that it only does the surface temp not the actual core cpu core temp, you need something which has the really thin probes & wires which can sit between the cpu pins & socket i have a thermaltake hardcano 12 which does the job for me http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999129 but it's $54.99, but there is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813998803 which should only be used for temp readings & not a fan controller (read the reviews).....

13. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

No I was trying to post a multi compatible board...i was trying to post a agp baord cause she dont want to upgrade to pci x yet...lol

14. rugripper

rugripper Guest

oh,kool man...lol....peace

15. 2sweet4u

2sweet4u Regular member

I know this thread is pretty much dead with no conclusion, and at this point I'm probably going to have to cough up a bit of $ to fix it, but I just wanted to know what anyone though about the fact that my sensor often just completely drops? Like, after a couple minutes with speedfan open, all the sensors read -68 or something. And then no programs will detect them until I restart the computer.

16. jonni3

jonni3 Guest

Sounds like a faulty diode or the winbond chip is screwed , you should rma the mobo and see if that sorts the problem out.

17. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Hey did yeah ever fix it toosweet? What was the problem?:>