1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brand new need buying advise

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shane434, Nov 21, 2004.

1. brobear

brobear Guest

Long processing times and high level CPU usage generate a lot of heat which a laptop doesn't dissipate well. Besides using peripherals, it is more difficult and expensive to upgrade laptops. If you had bought the top end dell, you would have been better off than trying to upgrade what you have. If it had been a desk top, it would have been no problem to install high end ATI Radeon graphics and capture cards (my favorite brand). And while the case was open it's just another screw or 2 to add the better audio cards. And those RAM chips are just a plug in item on the desktop motherboard. An extra 512MB to 1GB RAM on a dell desktop is a snap. You won't find it a snap upgrading a laptop. Plus the internal drives are much faster than the external ones.

It's a judgment you have to make. I would have opted for a low end laptop for portability with the least options I could live with and go for a well equipped desktop for the heavy work. If you have to have a laptop for work or studies, then I can see working with one if you can't afford 2 PCs. Check and see what the difference in price is between upgrading the laptop and getting a desktop and upgrading it. Hard drives are no longer that expensive, so I wouldn't let the cost of one of those be the deciding factor.