1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand: Philips

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by no[i]se, Apr 30, 2002.

1. no[i]se

no[i]se Guest

Burner : Liteon LTR-32123S XS0R (SmartBurn on)
    Program : Nero, CDSpeed 0.85e
    Readers : Liteon LTD-163D GHR3 for Surface Scan

============================================

Media : CD-R80 (32x Multispeed)
    Result :

Speed,File Scan,Surface Scan (Damaged), Surface Scan (Unreadable)
    32x,0,~2500,0

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
    Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Remark : The average read speed is 12x only! Crap! The top side is similar to this one:

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/images/philips_cd-r80_24x_silverspeed_mitsui_top.jpg

but with red text and golden background.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2002
  2. no[i]se

no[i]se Guest

I have upgraded the Firmware to XS0U.

====> The disk is as crappy as before.

(added comment on 19 May 2002)

Luckily I have bought 10 only.... all the disks are now unplay/readable.... period....

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2002
  3. vipera

vipera Member

40x Philips, blue text, same CMC crap
    got them free after rebate.. wasnt worth it

ATIP: 97m 26s 66f
    Disc Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corp.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

4. Almighty1

Almighty1 Guest

nose,

Did your media record okay and then read/play fine at first and then slowly died? This is what happened with mines...

I got some unlabeled 74 Min 650Mb 12x Silver top/blue bottomed generic Imations in a unlabeled spindle from quill.com last year which are the CMC Magnectics Corp type. The problem is that with data CD's, 3 CD's I burned, one of them can't be read by my Pioneer DVD305S while the other two can but it'll read fine elsewhere. With audio, that's where the nightmare begins... The disc records fine but it will play fine the first time but no matter if I put it in a DVD Player or CD Player or a computer drive, it will work fine the first 2 times but then it will fail reading past track 8 or even when it could read, there will be static. I wonder if this is a general CMC problem or is it only with
    CMC that Imation labels?

5. no[i]se

no[i]se Guest

Nero reported a successful burn. However, CDSpeed showed me that there was plenty of C1 errors (together with the slower reading speed). A couple of weeks later, even the Lite-on CDRW drive itself could not recognise it.

6. jase

jase Guest

CMC media is atrocious. Always has been. There used to be the silver/dark blue-green (different to the silver/dark blue!) CMC discs where when you recorded them you could quite clearly see the inconsistencies in the dye/reflective layer!!! And they tend to die in next to no time as well.

Personally I'd have ANY disc above CMC. I don't think I'm alone in saying this either!!! Ask cd-rw.org ;)