1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand: TDK

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by cd-rw.org, Apr 4, 2002.

1. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

TDK 32x "Certified Plus", the design isn't a swirl design like the others, and "the media looks crappy" was the first thing I thought when I bought it...

ATIP: 97m 27s 19f
    Disc Manufacturer: Plasmon Data Systems, Ltd.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    Media type: CD-Recordable
    Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Expensive crap, wouldn't record at 32x correctly here (speed would drop down to like 12x near the end) and as such I wouldn't recommend it.
    The CD itself looks kind of like Imation (urgh), up to the design of the "32x" printed on the disc, and those burn just as badly even though this isn't CMC. The spindle says "Certified Plus", the discs have a white TDK printed on the center ring.

2. 10one00

10one00 Guest

Oh my goodness. I cannot believe what I've read in some of these posts! Ritek sucks big time! Most of their discs can even be visably inspected to show defects. TDK has built a good rep, and if you buy TDK discs manufactured by TDK (CDR Identifier and EAC will both show "TDK Corp.") then great, you've got some good discs. But, if you buy TDK discs (usually made in Taiwan) that are manufactured by Ritek, then you know why they are cheaper, because they suck!

If you want consistent quality you have to buy from manufacturers of discs, not companies who slap their brand on discs made from various and ever-changing manufacturers. The best discs, IMO, are from Mitsui or Taiyo Yunden. Second place goes to TDK discs made by TDK Corp. or Sony discs made by Taiyo Yunden. Ritek can go in the pile of crap with the Maxell, CompUSA brand, Wal-Mart generics, and other such poor quality discs.

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

10one00,

I have burned thousands of RITEK discs ever since the 8x generation and have had ZERO coasters. I have been using all kinds of playback devices (audio, data, PSX, VCD..). Also I know quite a few heavy burners that have used RITEK with excellent results and TraxData as their primary brand.

So it would be interesting to hear under what conditions you feel that your RITEKs suck? On the other hand, there has been "TDK Corp" discs on the market that do really suck (recently they have been ok).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2002
  4. 10one00

10one00 Guest

Actually, I believe it is that Ritek used to really suck and perhaps they do not any longer, and maybe for some time. So I tried to edit my comments above, but for some reason could not.

5. 10one00

10one00 Guest

I would also note however, that one of the companies most reported for troublesome discs is CMC Magnetics and they and Ritek are building a co-op plant to make discs together. Does that mean CMC discs will get better or Ritek will get worse? hmm... I hate fussing about which brand and don't feel like buying discs from "Brand X" only to get home and find out that they are made by "Suck Manufacturing"; I'll stick with the mans themselves. Mitsui and Taiyo Yunden are tops in my book. To each his own though. I don't claim to have special knowledge and I do recind my earlier comments, it was late and Ritek did used to be known as cheap and bad regardless of what their rep is now.

6. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

You are correct - the RITEK product line in the 1-4x was simply terrible. Many discs were unreadable straight after the burn. But they have improved and been one of the better manufacturers ever since the 8x.

7. BillyG

BillyG Member

TDK 40X 80min Data CD-R (3 pack bought at Wal-Mart) gold dye. Has "Certified Plus" printed on the clear center.

ATIP: 97m 15s 17f
    Disc Manufacturer: Ritek Co.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)

They were also selling TDK Black CD's - anyone knows who makes these?

TDK Data 32X - 80 min 50 pack ($2.99 after rebate a Circuit City!) No mentioning of "Certified Plus" anywhere on the CD. (though it was on the shrink wrap)

ATIP: 97m 24s 01f
    Disc Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden Company Ltd.
    Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
    nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2002
  8. warre1

warre1 Member

I bought today a 10-pack of TDK Reflex Ultra 80-min. discs, which seems to be made by Taiyo Yuden this time. Box has orange color instead of green like it used to has.

Manufacturer : Taiyo Yuden
    Code : 97m24s01f
    Disc Type : CD-R
    Usage : General
    Recording Layer : Dye Type 1: Long Strategy (Cyanine, AZO)
    Recording Speed : n/a
    Capacity : 79:59.73
    703 MB
    Additional Capacity : n/a
    Overburn Capacity : 81:03.59 (712 MB)

9. jase

jase Guest

"Suck Manufacturing", lmao, I like that :D

10. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

TDK CD-R80/700mb Reflex Ultra 24x

Manufacturer : TDK
    Code : 97m15s01f
    Disc Type : CD-R
    Usage : General
    Recording Layer : Dye Type 1: Long Strategy (Cyanine, AZO)
    Recording Speed : n/a
    Capacity : 79:59.74
    703 MB
    Additional Capacity : n/a
    Overburn Capacity : 83:02.50 (729mb)