1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband, a modern day dial-up..

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by anubis66, Dec 27, 2005.

1. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

ok.. with the release of bluray and hd-dvd impedning, videos will begin to take up the full space. you all may know how long it takes to dl 4 gigs from a torrent. but when these video begin to be like 25 gigs, can you imagine the download time on that? you could work and pay of the movie 100 times over bor for that. there is a new internet out some call internet2, with up to 6gbs connection rates. only government establishments and high universities have this. sad thing is, every last thing to do in monitored strictly and all your information sent to the isp, no confidenciality. so as i was saying, broadband will start to seem like the slowest thing ever with everything changing to hd. video games and movies being 25 gigs will take atleast a month or 2 to download, time you could be working. with bluray and/or hd-dvd, the pirating scene with deminish severely. cuz id rather buy something than download it at an insane price.

and to those of you who complain "omg its a 20 dollar disk" about bluray, if everyone starts using it, it will lower in price significantly after say a year. dvds were just the same. so were cds.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Movies won't be 25 gigs. I don't know anyone who downloads MPEG-2 files. The smart money is on MPEG-4. Divx alread has an HD compression codec. HD content would be nearly double the typical file size. Not 5 or 6 times. HD content encoded using WMV-HD (VC-9), Divx 6, and AVC (especially) will be available at a resonable file size. When useing an MPEG-4 complient codec a typical movie can fit onto two cds at high quality (one at low quality). HD movies should easily fit on one DVD-9 disc. But that is just subjective conjecture at this point.

Ced

3. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

but with compression you lose quality. they need to have a lossless codec for bluray. why use it if there is all that extra space. im sure they will abuse it.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

There is absolutly no reasone to use a lossless codec for video. The file sizes would be insane. There is a lossless codec for audio in use though. Its MLP.

Plus I wasn't talking about Blu-Ray at all. I was talking about HD content in general. People are willing to sacrifice quality all the time (ie Wma,Mp3, Divx/Xvid, WMV). Theres compression technologies make the P2P world go round.

Ced

5. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

but id they did, you know? just to fight piracy? if i had a vid, one compressed and one not so compressed, i know what one id want.