1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband and DSL

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by esco600, Mar 1, 2005.

1. esco600

esco600 Regular member

me and my friend were arguing for an hour straight because he claims that broadband and dsl are two different services and that broadband is slightly faster, while i claimed that they were both two different names for the same service. please tell me who is right.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

broadband means FAST internet service, as opposed to dial-up via modem. broadband includes DSL, cable, satelite, ISDN, or T1. so broadband is not a service, its a reference to a speed level of connection

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

In Telecommunications , the carrier (( a cable from one point to another) is defined as Broadband when it can carry a large band of frequencies. This will make it possible to multiplex (( mix in )) on one carrier different channels within that band of frequency. Think of it as a highway , the more lanes the more cars you can move thru ! Old telephone lines were limited to voice transmission , with the advent of fiber optics and newer technologies they are now able to carry additionnal signals (( DSL )) -- however because part of that link is still old copper wires to a customer home , that info is limited in distance , hence the restriction for a DSL customer that he be located within approx 15ooo feet from a DSL controller.

On a cable network , the limitations is not there as the carrier is intact from point A to point B -- !

The term Wideband is also used ; it means the same thing. The term Baseband is used to indicate a one channel link.

As DjScoop says -- Broadband implies the carrier has capabilities to give you DSL, cable Tv Signals , satelite, ISDN, or T1 and higher -- !

So maybe you were both wrong.. ! now shake hands and have a beer !

5. esco600

esco600 Regular member

thanks alot, and we will shake hands, but as far as the beer goes, i'm only fifteen so i don't think the authorities would take it very well.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i don't think so either so have a pop or a milkshake instead!!!