1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by MNA, Dec 28, 2005.

1. MNA

MNA Regular member

I am thiinking of changing my broadband because it plays up a lot.So what would people recommend.I download a lot so I'd need a good speed,I wouldn't mind 1meg or 2meg and I'd need the downloading limit unlimited and the surfing unlimited.The price range is about £20 or less.

2. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi MNA,
    I am currently with tesco broadband,
    It started as 512k for £17.99 a month unlimited which was ok but now i have been upgraded to 1 meg for £19.99 a month unlimited.
    The only drawback was the waiting time was about 6 weeks which tesco blamed on bt.
    Hope this helps.

3. MNA

MNA Regular member

I am on Tiscali Broadband which is £15 a month unlimited everything,I've got it sorted but still I would like to know good broadbands.

4. MNA

MNA Regular member

Anyone else have any good broadbands to recommend?

5. rav009

rav009 Active member

um using 1mg ntl broad band, ive never had a single problem with it once, and also there broad band support is very good i hear.

blue yonder may not be for you as you need to be in a blueyonder service area, im in coventry, england and we at cov are not in the blueyonder serice area.

i think im paying something like 17.99 a month for qaulity broad band, i recomend ntl its worth a try.

6. MNA

MNA Regular member

Hey I live in Birmingham,England.Do you need BT for NTL becasue I don't want to change my phone line and for blueyonder you need telewes phone line?

7. rav009

rav009 Active member

your in birmingham and youll get blueyonder serive, but yeh you need a telewest phoneline and for ntl you need a ntl phone line.

ill compare all the current deals i think are good for you on this post so youll have a good pick.

AOL 9.0 broad band,£25 a month,1 meg, everything unlimited, bt phoneline.

BT broad band,£15 a month,2Mb, 2gb limit for the 1st three months then unlimited i think, unlimited surfing.

Wanadoo broad band,£15 a month, up to 8 meg, 2gb monthly limit, unlimited surfing.

Pipex broad band, £15 a month, 2MB , 1GB limit,includes 500 minutes of free phone calls per month.

8. MNA

MNA Regular member

I download a lot so I'm looking for something which is unlimited downloads.I have Tiscali broadband now which is a good offer but,I might just upgrade my current package.The only problem with Tiscali is that I upgraded once and they gave me a wrong package.There customer service is completely shit.The deals are great but I need to get the great deal first.

9. rav009

rav009 Active member

so youve got a bt phone line, go with AOL there deal is ok, they do have good cusotmer service but sometimes it disconects and stuff like that.

£25 a month and everything unlimited, or you can do for there other package AOL 9.0 silver,512 and £18.

10. MNA

MNA Regular member

I'll see because I had AOL before and it was useless,I don't think I'll get that though.

11. bandit1.3

bandit1.3 Member

Hi you can use blueyonder internet service without changing your phone line. Because it uses a cable modem not your phone line they lay a cable right up to your house. check their web site for details . hope this helps.

12. MNA

MNA Regular member

Oh yesss.I'm going to get that then because a lot of ppl have it that I know and they said you have to change your phone line.Do you know there phone number?

13. bandit1.3

bandit1.3 Member

14. rav009

rav009 Active member

yes MNA blueyonder broadband is excelent and youll like it as its got no limits or anything, just go with that i dont think itll give you loads of problems like your getting with tiscali and like some people get with AOL, even though AOl are probaly the biggest service providers out there many people have problems with them, but for some AOL works out ok.

15. MNA

MNA Regular member

OK thanks guys I have a mate who has Blueyonder and I'll get more details off him.

16. MNA

MNA Regular member

Can I ask you guys wich broadband you guys have,and i'm in the UK?

17. rav009

rav009 Active member

im in coventry, england, im using ntl broadand, used it for 2 years.

great customer service(for broadband), never had a single problem with them for 2 years but thats just me MNA.

18. chrisfunk

chrisfunk Regular member

Hi

I have spent a few days looking at all the offers on at the moment because I am with NTL and thought there might be something cheaper out there. but I think I will stick with NTL.

They are all doing offers but they only last so long before prices go up. Some of them are throwing in phone calls but some require you to use a voip phone (like a skype phone). I'm not interested in cheap calls as i moved mine to tescos which suits me fine. 9free calls to other tesco customers like my family)

£17.99 per month for 1mg. I know there is up to 8mg now but you will never tell the difference with normal use. I it was possible to get the most out of it a 1 meg connection would get you a full divx movie in just over a minute and have you ever managed that in real life?

With NTL you will be on cable with it's own cable modem which is a very reliable way of doing it and doesn't affect your phoneline in any way. In fact i had broadband for a year before even getting a BT phone line.

As far as I can see (please somebody correct me if this is wrong) but NTl are the only ones with NO DOWNLOAD LIMIT. I think it's because they think with 1 meg you wont download too much anyway, as with the faster NTL services there is a limit of 30 gb per month.
    There was a 3 gb limit with 1 meg but they must have got rid of it.

My house and all my cables are set up to suit where my NTL cable enters at the wall, so I wouldn't swap to somebody like BT or Wanadoo because i would have to move everything to go to my phone socket in a different room. i know you can go wireless but a lot of my mates have had endless problems with wireless routers whereas mine has been online 100%.

If there are any other providers who do broadband through cable in NTL areas (if that is even possible as NTL own the lines) I would love to know about it.

edit: just noticed somebody mentioned blueyonder go through cable so will check them out, cheers.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  19. MNA

MNA Regular member

OK thanks guys,as I've said I have Tiscali Broadband.The only problem I'm having right now is that the package I want is £14.99 monthly,1meg and unlimited downloads and unlimited time(I can go onto it 24/7).I have got everything right on the package but the download limit is 2gb.So I rang the customer service because they gave the wrong package and they said they have re-graded the package so I get the right one.Now they said 96hours the wait time for the package to change and I've waited that long and still I have the wrong package.So I'm going to phone again because their deal is gr8 but their customer service is shit.

20. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I am with BT, my 2meg line (unlimited downloads) is £26 a month (I think!) It has been an excellent service. I have only been off-line once in over 2 yrs. That was due to a fault down in London. Customer service was spot on, It was only off for a few hours.

My mate has NTL, he would not give them the time of day. Customer service is in India & the operatives are incredibly difficult to understand. He has constant problems with the service they provide.

My BT is more expensive, but I prefer to pay for quality & an incredibly reliable connection. I would recommend them to anyone, nothing but a top service!

10 out of 10 for BT!

-10 out of 10 for NTL!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006