1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken Xbox HDD, How to replace?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Coriean, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Coriean

Coriean Member

I have a 2 year old Xbox, in which the HDD just broke. Whenever I start the Xbox, I can hear loud clicks coming from the HDD, as it tries to start up. I have downloaded Xboxhdm, and have searched through all material I could find, yet am still unsure what to do. Is there a way to replace the HDD in an Xbox without getting the info from the original Xbox HDD? I keep coming upon posts saying that I need the Eeprom.bin from the original HDD, if I do not have that, as I cannot access the broken HDD, is there anything else I can do? I would appreciate any assistance that anyone can give me.

2. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

If you did not manage to get your backup info off of that broken HD (your lock code especially) your kind of screwed.

Things you can do now....

Get another Motherboard/hard drive combo. Simply changing the HD's will not work, as you will get and error when starting up your Xbox. Every MoBo and HD are married to eachother by a lock code. Check out http://www.llamma.com to get these things.

You could also put a modchip in your system. You can then install a new HD and skip getting the motherboard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2005
  3. payne159

payne159 Member

hey, im kinda going throught the same thing here, i softmodded my xbox, screwed up my backup (tried to restore it then realized i was creatin a new one) then chose to just start over and formatted the whole hdd, soon to find out that i never reinstalled the ms dash and now get the scary error 21 everytime I try to boot it. Im going to finally receive the XBIT modchip via the worlds slowest mail service enabeling me to replace a hdd without the mobo combo thing. I want a spacious hdd, and one day while watching attack of the show, i saw a 200 GB hdd for only $80, no rebate. I need to know if this will work for the xbox, and how i would get the software for it to work on the xbox properly. the link for it is
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1487621
    if you want to check it out. thanks for the help.

4. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Yup, that HD will be perfect. I was wondering why it was so cheap, and then I noticed that it is a used HD.

Just always make sure that you get an ATA/133 HD for your Xbox.

After you install your XBIT modchip and get it working, go onto #xbins and DL Slayers. Then DL the torrent file you get of slayers. Now burn Slayers to either a cd-rw or quality DVD-R disc and pop it in your Xbox. You will have many options on the screen, one of which to format the new drive.

That's it!

If you need help w/ #xbins, follow this guide, http://webpages.charter.net/modchipzone/xbinshowto.htm

5. payne159

payne159 Member

ok, I think I can figure it out down the road. Still need to save up mone for the hdd. thanks.

6. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

No problem

7. payne159

payne159 Member

Ok, Im about to get the HDD via UPS, when i do, do i juist put it into the xbox? or do i have to do something to it first?

8. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Yup, just take out your Xbox's original HD and pop in the new one. Then pop in your Slayers disc, and choose the option to format the new HD. It's that easy...

9. 3xiled

3xiled Member

I have a soft modded xbox and i was wondering if i could use that slayers disk to install my harddrive.. i cant use xboxhdm because my comp wont let me lock my hard drive.I get that stupid frozen hard drive error.Or if there is any other way to lock my hard drive.

10. payne159

payne159 Member

Dang dude, Ive got the xbins thing up, but I cant find Slayers... Where is it? Just tell me what the directory is, Ill put it up on the address bar thing up there. Thanks

11. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

3xiled, ask that same question in this forum and I guarantee you'll get a full answer to your question, http://minnwild.8.forumer.com/index.php

payne159, here you go:

/XBOX/apps/Auto Installers/SlaYers_EvoX_Auto-Installer/

12. bbman

bbman Member

I have the same issue as Coriean. The western digital HD is making a knocking sound. Now I am new to xbox modifications and am trying to figure out what to do. PimpDawg mentions installing a 'modchip' and replacing the HD. Is this chip the XBIT modchip? How do I know which modchip is required? Where is the best source to get such a chip?

13. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

While the HDD-Key would be of major use to you (the OP), You shouldn't have to kick yourself over it! If your Drive is dead. Then it's dead. and no Unlock-Key is goung to bring it back!

Now some things your going to need.

A Modchip (or a Mod'ed TSOP i.e. BIOS), that will allow you to use an Unlocked HDD. You can forget about Softmoding at this point! There's chance that you'll be able to rebuild your XBOX™ this way. As the HDD has to be locked when running a stock (i.e. Retail BIOS) or you will get an Error '05'. So your going to have to get a Chip at this point.

Now that you have a new Modchip installed and your HDD is reconected you should use an installer Disc (i.e. Slayers), to Format your HDD and install EVOX to your new HDD. IIRC the Slayers CD should also have a Program called 'ConfigMagic'. You can use this to relock your new HDD. Just a quick tip... You might want to take the time and write this infomation down, and lock it up somewhere.

You can reinstall your M$Dash by useing a current XBL! enabled Game. with the help of another Program like BoxPlorer or XCommander. To locate and execute the 'Dashupdate.xbe' File that's on thoses Game Disc's. This will then replace your M$ Dash with the current version.

14. bbman

bbman Member

Thanks Ichijoe. Looks like I need to get the modchip and a new HD first. Where could I get a modchip and are some better than others? I guess the HD just needs to be lockable.

15. Ichijoe

Ichijoe Regular member

Yes most of the currently avalible +80Gb HDD on the Market are locable. So you shouldn't have to much problems in that regaurd. As for Modchips you can get 'em for almost any income level (form $10.00(USD) to ca. $50.00(USD)) it mostly depends on how twisted and hellbent you are in moding your XBOX™ (i.e. Dremel'ing Windows, adding Plexie and LED's much less a LCD Display),.

If you can live without the 'Bells and Whistles' and your fairly good with a Soldering Iron. You could get an Aladin Chip for like $10.00(USD),. If you not so good (or don't trust your Soldering), you can get a Solder-less Modchip. These will run you about $40.00(USD) though. But, are by far the simpleset way to get the job done!

I'd try looking here for more info. http://www.xbox-scene.com/modchips.php

Spend some time there and most of your questions will be answerd. Save one where could I find one? :)

16. bbman

bbman Member