1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browsers

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Buik, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Nessly

Nessly Member

Buik -
    Yea, downloading DOES seem faster on Firefox compared to IE. I think it uses something similar to Download Accelerator(multi-downloading).

Prisoner -
    This version of opera is even better.

I think I'm going to switch between Opera and Avant for a while. I tried Mozilla, but it used a heck of a lot CPU on my PC. I got it on my dad's laptop(its new), and it worked great. IF I use it for long periods of time(like over 2 hours), though, it slows the whole pc down and I have to reboot. MAbe it's just me, or you guys must have state of the art/top of the line PCs.

2. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

I am not so sure about the multidownloading thing. The RedHat download server prevents download agents like Download Accelerator from connecting. But when I tried to download it using Firefox I experienced no problems. But it is faster for some reason. Usually I start out at insane speeds like 300 KB, but it gradually goes down to like 80KB which is still pretty decent don't you think for a DSL line?

3. Buik

Buik Regular member

After having used Firefox exclusively for about two weeks~, Adaware & Spybot don't seem to find any nefarious cookies. Are spyware cookies Browser" specific, like many IE viruses, Trojans & worms? Or are Adaware & Spybot only looking for programs written for IE?

TC

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The same thing here.

5. Xian

Xian Regular member

Adaware only scans your Cookies directory in Documents and Settings/"Username"/Cookies
    Firefox keeps the cookies in a file called cookies.txt in a different location. It has been requested for Adaware to scan that too:
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=31220
    I have the same problem with Opera, Adaware doesn't scan it's cookie files either, however Opera comes with a built in Cookie Manager so I just set it to deny all 3rd party cookies. That gets rid of most of the tracking cookies. If you really want to fine tune it you can specify which servers to allow or deny cookies from. There is also an external program, Opera File Explorer, that you can run to delete individual cookies and items from Opera's cache.
    http://users.westelcom.com/jsegur/
    Another solution is to use Cookiewall, which I believe will work with Firefox too
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie.htm
    It lets you specify which cookies to accept or reject.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Same with Firefox. A very nice feature to have in any browser :)

7. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi Guys,
    I just started using firefox a few days ago,And it is definately faster loading however i liked to use flashget with IE and don't seem to be able to use it with firefox,Is there anything i can do? or does any other download accelerator work with firefox.
    Cheers.

8. Buik

Buik Regular member

Heads up everyone. An exploit has been found in FireFox Version 0.9.1. All you FireFox users need to update to version 0.9.2. The news on this can be found at: http://www.mozilla.org/security/shell.html

TC

9. kfint20

kfint20 Member

hey I need the best free thing to downlaod for me 2 download music off of please reply cant find nothin and somethin with spyware free

10. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If you are talking about a P2P site then I'd recommend Limewire:http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=limewire&tg=dl-2001&search.x=0&search.y=0&search=+Go%21+
    There is no spyware, excellent search and reliable downloads and, in my opinion, it's far better than Kazaa.

11. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

12. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

13. Buik

Buik Regular member

Hopefully, everyone has upgraded their FireFox.

Xian, itlooks like lavasoft is starting to include cookies with extension "txt". Guess I can start running adaware on a regular basis again.

TC

14. Buik

Buik Regular member

For all you Opera Users, v7.53 is out.

TC

15. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

I like Opera. Been using it for some time now. I wish I could uninstall Internet Explorer - if that's possible.

16. Nessly

Nessly Member

I don't know if it's just my PC, but this latest release of Avant is just cra.p. I've frozen several times while using just this current release (9.02 Build 101). Think it's time to head back to Opera again.

vertigo17 -
    Now why in the world would you want to do that? LOL, that bad eh?

17. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

I just hate when Internet Explorer locks up. I have a cable modem, and IE is much slower than Opera. I got used to the Tabbed Browser and will never go back. The hot-keys are cool, too. To zoom in press "0" and to zoom out press "9". IE doesn't give you much choice when it comes to zooming of web pages. Websites these days are all designed differently for different resolutions. I believe you can download and buy a small program to help IE zoom, but it's not worth it. IE gets highjacked alot. I use ZoneAlarm and IE always get's the home page changed. My Opera home page always stays the same. The skins are cool, too.

18. Xian

Xian Regular member

I will have to agree with the Zoom feature in Opera, very handy for these old eyes. I have got to the point where I only use IE for Windows Update and Gmail since Opera doesn't work with the ActiveX control needed for Gamil (though it has been promised for 7.60).

Really the only feature that IE has that Opera doesn't is the .mht format for saving a web page as a single file. Opera and Firefox save all the graphics and html separately in a folder instead of a single compressed file.

19. vertigo17

vertigo17 Member

Uhhh, that's not true. Opera can save web pages as: HTM & HTML files, as well as with images.

20. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

mht is a differnt format to HTM/HTML files.
    It Compresses all the files eg the HTM/HTML and all graphics etc into one MHT file isntead of haveing a HTM/HTML file as well as a folder with all the graphics individually.

Regards
    CoZZa