1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**BUDGET** build help needed!! thanks

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by MaximoJoe, Jan 10, 2009.

1. MaximoJoe

MaximoJoe Member

Now when i say budget i mean budget $400 preferably im 15 about to get a job in February (my b day is FEB 4th i will be 16) so with my first job comes my first real income.. with my first few checks i would like to save up for a new PC i want to build it my own to accomplish one of my life goals.. i love computers so it should be easy for me.. I currently have a dell dimension 3000 nothing special at all 256mb ram so i know what it feels like having major lag in windows.. now here is the weird thing.. i believe my Pentium processor is running at an astounding like 2.8ghz i believe it is 2.8 now if i was to build a new pc used for mild gaming.. actually the only games i will play are most likely team fortress 2 and left 4 dead im not a big pc gamer i prefer my 360.. is it possible to use a pentium 4 proccesor with these new motherboards they have now.. i have 2 disc drives in my dell a CDR and DVDR would i be able to use those??

the only thing i would like in this pc is to be able to play Left 4 dead and team fortress 2.. or anything under 400 dollars.. note if i can use my pentium 4 proccesor no need for a new one.. also disc drives no need i believe... i have a 19inch monitor which is fine with me.. so im guessing all i need is a motherboard RAM case fan power supply and maybe keyboard mouse.. i will probably buy some headphones down the road.. no need for crazy 5.1 speakers or anything.. if you can make a 400 dollar gaming PC i will be very happy just post the links and what not!

2. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

3. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Geez, i'm way over budget here! I left out some peripherals (Keyboard,Video Card,Optical drive etc) so this price might not work for you...I'm not sure if you have a pc case or not?? If you can manage to squeeze out some more cheddar, the components i listed are super quality..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  4. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Change the PSU. It will give you a little more room to work with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

The CD and DVD Drive can go to the new PC. Also, the Hard Drive. If you are using Windows XP, use a tool to get your Windows Key so you can reinstall Windows into the new PC. This will save you $100.

Anyone know if this CPU would do good for a budget build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103300&Tpk=x2 7750

There could be about $50 of savings if the build is AMD... This leaves more money to spend on a good video card.

5. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Looks good to me JaguarGod, i didn't notice that he mentioned that he's a console gamer and not a pc gamer.. I still think for 400 bucks he can build a solid system that can handle the latest games whether it's AMD or Intel that's yet to be decided. That is a nice price on that X2 7750, i would go for the AMD and save some money since your not much of a PC gamer..

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member