1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget PC

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Inbntly, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Inbntly

Inbntly Member

Ok thank you, on the UPS site it says I should have it on Thursday, I just wanted to make sure that I screwed something up and ordered it, Also I just needed some reassurance.

Thanks again.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Agreed.

3. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

yeah thats the only problem buying online, yes it's very cheap and large variety of choices but when it comes to paying and delivering, it's a bit risky

4. Inbntly

Inbntly Member

I just received my tower case in the mail today, it looks all nice and shiny.. kind of upsetting I have to wait until tomorrow for the rest of the parts to come in. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

LOL, Oh boy do I know that feeling...

6. Inbntly

Inbntly Member

Ok finally I have all of the parts I ordered.. now there is A LOT that came with everything.. so much reading material. But my main issue is putting in the cpu.. I ordered the Thermal grease, but when I got the mobo it has a plastic cover over it that has some type of latching mechanism that says:

Note! Please read CPU installation guide. Always place this cover if the CPU is removed from socket.

My question however is since it has this latch do I even need the thermal grease?

Also it states that I should add the CPU and Heat Sink, then the Memory, then put in the PSU, installation of IDE/SATA/FDD Devices, THEN installation of Motherboard.. should I really put all of these on before I put in the mobo?

Please any response would be greatly appreciated as soon as you can, I'm as giddy as a school girl! :D, thanks again.

7. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Screw the manuals. The only thing you need THEM for is the front panel connectors.

The latch is so the motherboard doesn't get damaged when there is no CPU there. You DO need thermal grease, don't for a second think you don't.

Do this, put in the CPU, apply the thermal grease and put in the memory. Then attach the heatsink. Then put it in your case. Connect the front panel connectors, then the drives, and in the end comes the power.

8. Inbntly

Inbntly Member

Ok so basically what your saying is that the thermal grease connects the heat sink to the CPU itself, I'm sorry this is so noobish but I realize that if I screw this up it could ruin the whole plan for a while. Thanks again, especially for the quick response.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Everybody probably varies slightly in how they do it, the layout of different cases makes it easier to do things a certain way, so some people get used to doing it a certain way round if that's what's worked for them in the past.
    I generally install the motherboard & RAM, then the CPU, then the PSU, then the CPU cooler, then the cards, then the drives.
    As for installing the CPU:
    Raise latch and remove warning cover
    install CPU, ensuring it is properly seated, then close latch
    Apply Thermal paste to CPU
    Install the heatsink

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  11. Inbntly

Inbntly Member

Ok so I think I put it in right it seems like it fits, the manual from the mobo tells me to push down slightly in the middle of the metal part and then begin to close to the pin.. should I do this and lock the pin before I put the grease on to attach the heatsink? Also when I attempt to lock the pin it seems like it gets really tight, I don't want to break anything in it.. I think I have it in right

[​IMG]

In the top left corner and the bottom left there are two little notches it seems to fit perfectly around which is why I think its in right.. I'm just afraid to apply too much pressure.

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Don't youch the CPU itself. Hold down the metal part that goes on top and then close it with that lever thingy. Don't worry, it takes some pressure. Then just apply the paste.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It takes a firm push to get that shut, don't worry too much about it. As long as the CPU easily slot in the right place without needing any force then you're set. Shut that, then apply the thermal grease.

14. Inbntly

Inbntly Member

Ok In the instructions that I'm reading from the site it shows that all I need to do is put a thin line of the arctic silver compound in the middle of the heatspreader.. The only reason I'm hesitant is because I have seen and heard of people taking something and spreading a very thin layer over the entire surface of the heatspreader? Should I just listen to the instructions, or what do you all do?

A big plus though is that I was able to close the pin without hurting anything and I know its in place :D

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Just do what the instructions say, the heatsink will spread out the paste just fine.

16. Inbntly

Inbntly Member

ok I'm installing the PSU, and Everything fits ok.. but when I get to the part of screwing it in the back.. there are 2 different sets of screws.. and something that looks almost like a pin with thread on one side of it.. and also with the package with all the pieces I had some really awkward ones:

[​IMG]

Now are these just things the company where I bought my case from (Cooler Master) adds to the package in case one might need one?

And should I just try and see if any of the screws fit, and whichever does best use those? I don't see anywhere where it tells me what hardware to use where.. Thanks again.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Inbntly: The thin layer is how you USED to have to do it with small-heatspreader CPUs. In the modern age you can just put a line there and let heat do the rest, that's the current preferred method.
    I didn't use half the stuff that came with my Server's case, and half of what I had left over looked like that. The ring I believe is used for electromagnetic shielding on cables if you run them through it. The sticky backed plastic is for use with whatever you so choose.

Only use what you need, manufacturers often provide extra.

18. Inbntly

Inbntly Member

I figured that they would send extra, just some of them looked completely out of place so I thought I'd ask about them. Everything well I'd say about 80% of everything is going well. I remember hearing that since I have all the new hardware in my computer that I should reinstall my OS. Would this be an issue with getting my computer to start up?

Also I was talking to my friend about only having room for my Dvd-rom, and my floppy drive as far as ribbons are concerned I think there called (the long wide and thin things with connectors on each end. Well I think since my HDD isn't a SATA drive is why we ran into it, but I have my dvd-rom, and my Hard drive plugged into the same one. He said that it would work best if I made my harddrive slave instead of master. I know he is computer literate for the most part so I trusted him.. but feel kind of un easy. Would this have changed anything?

Lastly I have most of the of my usbs plugged into the motherboard because of the 4 slots open, if I do not have the stuff that came with the mobo installed yet would it cause them to not function properly? Whenever I boot up the computer It just goes to a screen where it says There might have been a change in hardware or software, how do you want to restart windows? Well when it gets to that point my keyboard or mouse doesn't work.. and it continues(after trying to start windows) to keep re-starting. I attempted putting in the CD that came with the mobo.. but even If I try to go to anything on the CD, using the "f" keys, the same things happen with my keyboard and mouse..

Could all of this be from something that I might have plugged in wrong? I figured since there straight into the mobo that it wouldn't the reason.

The only other thing that I know isn't working properly so far is the reset button, Also I haven't tried to see if the 2 usb ports in the front are functioning..

Thanks again!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Whether or not you can use your existing install of windows with significant new hardware is not something you can ever 100% predict. Generally, Windows seems to get cross if you change your chipset manufacturer. If you stick with the same brand as you had before, often you can get away with it, but not always.
    If you don't have any luck, you will be wise to keep a copy of windows on CD to hand and a spare blank partition on a hard drive.
    As far as IDE connectors go, I always used to make my hard drives master and let the Opticals be slave, but I haven't used IDE hard drives for nearly two years.

As for your last issue, I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you clarify?

20. Inbntly

Inbntly Member

Ok thank you about the part with the OS I'll see what happens when I re-install it.

About the last part with the usb ports. My motherboard in the back where you would plug in your monitor and has a keyboard/mouse port.. has 4 usb ports. I have everything like my mouse, keyboard, and speakers plugged into those. I thought since they are plugged into the mobo, that them not functioning properly when windows boots isn't because of usb ports. Am I wrong, and could it be another issue I'm not sure of?

Thanks