1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buffering Problems when Burning Audio to CD

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bartidge, Nov 23, 2003.

1. bartidge

bartidge Member

Hi-

I just bought an NEC ND-1300A DVD-R/RW & CD-R/RW drive...

I've installed and began burning various things to CD-R and DVD-R.

I have had sucess burning wave files to CD already with no problems...

The burner is rated for up to 16X burn speed for CD-R but I alway drop it down t 12X when burning audio files.

In any event, I've tried to to burn a group of wave files to disc this morning at 12X speed using Nero 6, and the resulting disc burned but the songs sound choppy with static... This is a sign of buffering problems, yes?

I tried again and dropped the burn speed down to 4X and still got the same poor results.

I checked the wave files on my system and played them with Windows Media Player and they sound fine - so the errors are definitely taking place in the burn.

I noticed that while burning in Nero, the buffer status bar was fluxating between 96% and 98% - rarely ever hitting 100%

I'm using Fuji CD-R media which is conmpatible with my burner as noted in specs... and have had previous luuck with this media already.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thx.

2. minix

minix Member

No.
    This is a sign that your player can't read the audio data correctly.
    Why? Maybe your player isn't very good or can't read CD-Rs, maybe the burner is writing with poor quality, or maybe the CD-Rs are bad and can't be read with accuracy.

I'd try other media or the same CD-Rs burned with another drive.

3. bartidge

bartidge Member

hmm... well, like I said, the media worked a number of times before w/o problem so if it can't read the audio files properly - it isn't a consistent problem.

as for the burner itself being poor quality, I bought it based on a number of positive ratings that I reviewed on other sites, so it's not reknown as a piece of junk or anything to my knowledge...

I have even burned decrypted DVD movies with it to DVD-R with no problems, which is certainly a more complex process...

I suppose I could try a reboot and retry...

If anyone has any other advice, please advise...

Thx.

4. minix

minix Member

The burner might be well designed, but maybe your unit isn't as good as the average NEC 1300A.

That's why I recommend to burn the same media with another writer.

Burning CD-DA is different from anything else.

Important point: where are you playing those discs?
    Play them in the computer drives. If they sound OK in the computer, then the problem is what I said before.

5. bartidge

bartidge Member

----
    ...maybe your unit isn't as good as the average NEC 1300A
    ---

Do you mean maybe I got a lemon?

The computer is showing the same sound quality errors when played back from CD as my stereo is...

I think I'm going to try some different burn software and media on my own system first... since I had success with wav files already on this media, it may be a software problem... gonna try burnatonce and then also on some imation media and see what gives...

6. minix

minix Member

yes, it might be a lemon...
    but if you say that your drives play EXACTLY the same errors, then it would mean that the data is really changed.

Rip to WAV and compare with original:
    EAC -> Tools -> Compare WAVs.

Your computer has data corruption problems.
    Do you have a Via chipset?

Disable DMA to avoid and confirm it's data corruption.

Does it happen with Nero5?

Try burnatonce or Feurio (if you are registered in order to try the beta version that supports the NEC 1300).