1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bugs in Afterdawn code

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by cdavfrew, Nov 3, 2008.

1. cdavfrew

cdavfrew Regular member

Hi all

I just wanted to ask about possible bugs in Afterdawn Forum code, and I know that nothing is perfect, but I would like to clarify if these bugs are seen by most people or just me.

1. Latest poster
    What does this mean?
    [​IMG]

2. Private Messages
    I love that the private message which is new will be in bold words, but sometimes this doesn't work, causing me to not notice new messages.

3. Threads that are moved
    This actually isn't a problem, but I would like to ask how creators of a thread know that their thread is moved? There are no traces left in the original section where the thread was posted, so is the creator informed somehow?

Best Regards :D

2. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

1. I cannot see the pic well enough to know what you're referring to, but if it's the () that shows up sometimes, that is an indication that a post have been moved elsewhere.

2. I've not had that happen. My new PM's typically show up titled in bold.

3. The person who opened the thread can locate the thread even if it's been moved by going to My Account then List Of Your Forum Posts

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Link is to a thumbnail, but from what I could see it shows a forum room with "blank" as the latest message/poster. This happens when a mod removes/hides/deletes the latest post posted to that forum. Scanning through the forum database for the "second latest post", when this occurs, would take too much CPU time, so we havent bothered patching it (as it gets "fixed" anyway once somebody writes a new post to that particular forum room).

Hm... This sounds interesting and something that I've never noticed. If you can reproduce the error somehow and report it to me, it would be very helpful.

Maybe posting a short email to the original starter of the thread (or even to all who have participated to it) might be a good idea, I'll add something related to this issue to our "to-do" list. But don't expect those annoying "thread was moved" messages in the forum where it was originally posted to, they annoy me to no end on some forums ;-)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

In addition to the question re thread moves, we always reply to the thread in question saying we've moved it, so there's no need for anyone to 'lose' them. The only exception are the trillions of spam threads that we get here, they get hidden from view so once in a while people will get an email notification and not be able to get bat the thread.

5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I've seen this from time to time and it seems to happen when you recieve a PM while you are in the PM screen, either replying to other PM's, recieving or creating PM's. Another glitch, which is really no big deal to me, but when one member PM's you twice in the same PM you are notified of both. Once you view the PM it then in decreased by one and even though you've already read all the responses you have to open the PM again to clear the notification.

6. cdavfrew

cdavfrew Regular member

Thanks, all of you.

I'm really fond of the Afterdawn forum code which is such a refreshment from the phbb code many other forums employ.

True, I believe. It happens when I am in the PM screen. So, dRD, that's what happens.

As for the THREAD MOVED alert, if everyone posted their threads in the right place, there would be no need for such alerts anymore! :)

Thanks again, and Best Wishes :D

Edit: The PM problem also happens when the private message thread gets too long.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008