1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a comp when parts were left outside for a long period of time in the cold.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by quaninter, Dec 2, 2011.

1. quaninter

quaninter Member

Hey guys, I'm new to building computer by yourself. I had ordered some parts from newegg (pretty much everything, except hard drive and psu because I'm gonna use the ones in the old comp). Anyway, they will come tomorrow and knowing ups schedule, it will be delivered when I will have already left for work. Forecast tomorrow says it's gonna be 20-25 so my parts will sit outside the house in the cold for about 6-7 hours before I can come home. My coworker said that I have to let the parts adjust to the room temperature for 24 hours before I can start putting them together, but I'm really excited about it (going from core 2 duo to i7) so the wait will be painful for me but these parts are really expensive and I don't want to ruin them. Any advises would be very appreciated.

2. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

always let the parts achieve room temperature naturally before assembly and before a power up, in other words no sudden temperature changes and you should be fine.

but if you cant wait that long get a slow heating device like a heating pad rap in about two towels if thin if thick use one and place the parts you plan to use on the towel don't Leave them in the Anti static bags place them on the anti static bag and place the bag on the towel

if a variable heating pad is used use medium heat setting. do this for about 30 minutes per part or until the part is not cold to the touch(obviously you must be warm to be able to tell). good luck and have fun.

the safest route is to wait, but I've used the trick with parts that where left out in the snow for clients that couldn't wait.

Edit: i dont check post dates ;) looks like you've already gotten your stuff. i hoped you listened to your friend

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  3. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

Yes it is a good idea to let them warm up to room temperatures before you use them.
    I would be more worried about someone stealing them sitting outside the house.
    Maybe you can have a neighbor or friend pick them up for you when they arrive.