1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a computer, have some questions

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by RWadeLee, Feb 20, 2008.

1. RWadeLee

RWadeLee Member

So I've come into a bit of money (woo tax returns!) and I'm looking to spend some of it putting together a new computer.

To give you an idea of the kind of power I am looking for, I'd like to be able to play games like Oblivion, Bioshock, whatever the newest Battlefield game is, Orange Box, COD4, etc. Price wise I am looking to spend about $600-700 (300-350£) USD on the CPU itself, if that is feasible for the games I'd like to play. For the record, I would like to upgrade to Vista at this time as well (I also don't take Vista's price into account as part of the computer's price... just the hardware).

My only problem is, there is so much crap out there these days that I don't know what is good, or what is horrible. I built my last computer about 10 years ago and I haven't kept up on things since (my last computer purchase was a prebuilt =\ ).

It might be a lot to ask for someone to find all my parts for me, but could someone at least point me in the right direction, or just give me some tips on what to look for in MOBOs, Video Cards, etc.?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. RWadeLee

RWadeLee Member

I guess I could be a bit more specific as to what I want. I want more HDD space than I have now (160 total, would like at least 320) and I would like at some point to be able to support two monitors.

Other than that I don't have a lot of things I really need or want. I just need a little pointing in the right direction. I don't even really need to build my own computer but I won't be buying a Dell or a Gateway or any of that crap. But if there is a good barebones out there that I could stick a kick ass video card in or something, I would be totally game.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

E8400 CPU
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R motherboard
    4GB Corsair XMS2 Memory
    Geforce 8800GTS 512MB graphics card
    Corsair HX 520W PSU

That's the benchmark decent build these days

4. GTR35

GTR35 Active member

sammorris rig or:

E8400
    Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
    4GB Corsair XMS2 Memory or even 8GB
    2X HD3870 x2
    Corsair TX750w/Antec TruePower Quattro 850w
    Seagate/Western Digital 500GB with 32MB cache

5. RWadeLee

RWadeLee Member

Just wanted to reply to say thanks for the responses. This has given me a good idea of where to start.

Thanks guys!