1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building a computer HELP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Datman, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Datman

Datman Member

Thinking about a new computer. I want it for audio and video processing.Currently I have AMD 2100+ for the most part it works fine but when I process digital video and convert for dvds it take 4-5 hours to process.

I'm going to have it built so unless someone advises aginst it these are my options

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, Socket 478 Retail
    Axio PC case w/ 480watt
    Asus P4P800S Pentium4 478Pin (800FSB) DDR Motherboard (MB)
    RAMBUS 512MB 800MHz Memory

Is there a resone to go with the more expensive memory?

Or go AMD

AMD ATHLON 64bit 3200+ RETAIL CPU
    same case
    Asus K8V-X Via K8T800 Athlon 64/Sempron Skt754 DDR ATX Motherboard
    Kingston 512MB PC3200 400Mhz Memory(or orther major brand)

This would be in my price range but if I can get some input that would be great

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

There are a lot of factors in conversion time. Obviously your hardware is important, but depending on the software you're using, 4-5 hours isn't necessarily that bad. Since you didn't say what kind of video you're dealing with, what kind of processing you're doing, or what software you're using, that's about as specific as I can be.

I'll leave it to our resident hardware experts to advise you on the new PC since I generall don't keep up with hardware lately.

3. Datman

Datman Member

I'm using dvd movie maker. I download it as DV then convert it to dvd. If I could cut the 4-5 hours to 2-3 it might be worth it.

everything else is ok soundforge& vegas for audio and DVD backup work fine.

4. vurbal

I'm not familiar with DVD Movie Maker, but I can tell you that the fastest MPEG-2 encoder is CCE. You can get the Basic version of it for $58, and it should give you results as good as any other encoder. On my P4 2.4GHz with 768MB RAM I can encode an hour of video in a little over an hour (it varies somewhat depending on the video). On your current CPU I'd say it would take somewhere between an hour and a half and 2 hours.

Since CCE is just an encoder, it would require you to use other software for capturing, authoring, and any audio processing. I'm assuming that most of the time it takes you to make a DVD is from the encoding, and CCE should cut that down drastically.

5. Datman

Datman Member

I was thinking I'm still running 512 of pc133 ram bet that slows it down

6. vurbal

It can't be helping.

7. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Duffman says 'Oh Yeah'

Definitely not helping much.

I like either of them systems you suggested. General opinion is that Pentium is better for video processing and Amd is better for playing games, but with the advent of the new Athlon 64 bit processors it may now swing the other way.
    I'm an Amd fan myself so I'm biased.
    Ram is very important for what you want to do so go for a quality brand and the fastest that your motherboard will take.
    Should bring your video processing times right down.

8. Datman

Datman Member

This is what I'm coming up with. All for about $630 unassembled.(1 HD) I want to see if they will put it together but have no link. They do have about a $10 charge for each to test. I'll pay the $40 but put it together and test it right.

Intel D865PERLL Socket 478 Mobo, 800FSB, DDR400,

Intel P4 3GHz-E 1MB L2-Cache 800MHz Socket 478 Microprocessor, w/ HSF, Prescott Core
    Two Kingston 512MB 400MHz DDR

Silver w/ Black MGE Sidewinder Mid-Tower Case w/ Side Window 450W Power Supply

Western Digital WD1600JB Caviar SE 160GB EIDE Hard Drive, 7200RPM, 8MB Cache, OEM

or this HD is the ATA better than EIDE?

Western Digital Caviar SE Serial ATA 160GB Hard Drives (WD1600JD), 8MB, 7,200RPM, OEM

9. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I believe there is a faster ram available for Intel 800fsb boards.

The Northwood core is supposed to be better and faster.

Don't know much about s-ata stuff really, never bothered with it, but my choice would be a Seagate hard drive.
    I read an interview once with a guy whose job it is to recover data from failed hard drives. He said it was very rare to have a Seagate drive in, as they were the most reliable.

10. Datman

Datman Member

Ok here's my latest

PDP SYSTEMS DDR Memory 184-Pin 1GB PC-3200, Model PSD1G400 -

CHAINTECH "SPT800 Summit" VIA PT800 Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2 GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - OEM

The MB is cheaper and has only 2 memory slots but if I get one stick of 1g memory I still can ad another stick later. The other thing is this about this board is it supports 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices as apposed to 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices on the Intel "D865PERL with the chaintech would I be better having a ata 133HD, I think I should wait on the HD. My othe question about HDs in the near future should I get this Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only I'm not sure if it will work with this system

I like this case and these fan options. I when with the more expencive fans

Silver w/ Black MGE Sidewinder Mid-Tower Case w/ Side Window 450W Power Supply

*Add 120mm Fan: Panaflo M1A, 4pin(+16.99)

*Add 80mm Fan: Two Panaflo H1A [high speed] w/ 4pin(+19.98)

The cpu ,MB and memory from newegg for 435, the case and fans from direction.com for 90.97

I think if I can get them to do it I'll have newegg put the cpu on the mb. I can do the rest