1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a Custom Computer...

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by LightXxX, Mar 15, 2011.

1. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

I know, imma wait tomorrow which "maybe" here by the end of the day... After that, imma try the other CPU and still not work than it's MoBo... RAM couldn't cost anything wrong since there's no beeps...

2. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

mobo problem i figure. see if your bro has a PCI post card; if so, add it in and look at the value on the LCD screen of the card.

as far as limits*** yes guy, there are limits. why not just keep overclocking a pentium iii until its as fast a core i7? because of limits...

3. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

There is? By how much actually? i see people overclock to 5.5GHz with 2600k and with i7... I dont really know why there's limits to overclocking, i just tho the name brands like lenovo would just block to not let us overclock... Are you sure there's a limits? Not by temps but limits to overclocking like i could overclock 100GHz, not by temps...

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

there are always limits. why can't you run 30 miles per hour or lift as a car with your bare hands because there are limits to the human body as there is to overclocking. what is the big deal to overclocking anyways as you'll only shorten the life span of the cpu & possibly other parts.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

pffft you got a 4 cpu explain how your even going to use a fraction of it,if you even know how too,there was some dude 2 weeks ago wasting peoples time attempting to over clock an unclockable laptop your not him again are you if so somebody bloody well shoot me i'm too old for this crap,if a 4 cpu ain't enough get an 8..*walks away grumbling*

6. ddp

scorpNZ, same idiot as before.

7. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

The BIG DEAL for overclocking is for performance and increase of stuff... The computer will last at least 5 years so i dont really care, by than i can build one even better, if it's not overclocked, i bet it will last 8 years or so...

The problem to my bro computer is the power supply, my case and cpu just came today and i jsut tested it and it seem to be the PSU... Runs, but "No Signal" probably a wire or two died or somethin' or doesn't give signal...

8. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

doubt you will get 5years out of the computer.my brother buys his computers brand new under warrenty for 2 years and usually around the 3&1/2 year mark the motherboard dies.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

As jack sparrow said in davie joneses locker "i wash my hands of this weirdness"

10. LightXxX

LightXxX Guest

His MoBo is either cheap or he turned it on 24/7... Every computer that's turned more than 10-20 hours a day will only last a year or 2 and the cause would be the MoBo burned or something like that... Also the computer can be turned on 24/7 for 5 years depends on how much MoBo is, $300 would sure to last 3-5 years and a $500 would sure to last more than 5 years... i bought mine for $200 so it would probably last 5 years if it not turned on more than 10 hours a day...

11. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

mine has a 20% overclock.. and is 7 years old... and solid and more stable than it ever was running xp.. it goes months if not years between reboots.. last time it was actually powered down was during moving.. and had an uptime of 420 days at that point.. so big raspberries to people who say computers wear out from being left switched on.. my 1999 cyrix 300 webserver ran for 5 years solid with no reboots until being scrapped 6 weeks ago. Even during a power outage it stayed up due to it's massive stacked ups.. shame to scrap such a workhorse.. but I don't have room for antique hardware any more.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  12. ddp

ps355528, what is "massive stacked ups", battery backup(s)?

13. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

most likely redundant UPS

14. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Untrue. Quality of build, temperatures, and care have more to do with longevity of a product. Since my tower stays very cool, I'll not worry :p

Overclocking CPU's beyond there rated threshold is risky, and not condoned by the manufacturer. People who have 4.5Ghz and more, are likely using extreme cooling techniques. E.g. liquid nitrogen. I have a watercooled Phenom II running at 3.9 easily. It scares me how easily I achieved it. But every bin is different.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

LightXxX,

There are limits because the electronic pathways are like water pipes. When you increase the pressure (voltage) to get more water (electrons) through, you reach a point where it starts to leak. It's called Electromigration in electronics, and is fatal to the CPU, and cannot be reversed! I have a Phenom II x6 1090T that has been running for a couple of months at 4.0GHz on a Gigabyte 790X-UD4P with DDR2 1066 cas 5 ram. It can run much faster but the voltage it takes to do it would be fatal to the CPU.

16. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

my brothers computer is probably turned on more than 10hours a day as his wife runs ebay shop and he uses it for work documents.my computer is a year old and has been tuned on for more than 10hours a day everyday and runs fine.using asus P5QSE (cheap mobo).its not the price that makes a different its the fact electronics in general (not just computers) are made and manufactored cheaper by staff with less qualifications.tvs from the 60s,70s,80s use to last a life time.the old pentium 2,3&4s last years.vcrs last longer then dvd players.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

When you build a new computer, the value you get for your money is equal to the sum of it's parts. This by no means means that you have to buy the most expensive or highest rated components. Quality is the most important thing to consider.

I have an eMachine (no laughing now) that is named Oxi-Moron. It's a WM model, meaning that it was specially built for WalMart. I picked it up for nothing but a couple of hours of work on a customer's computer, along with a 19" no name LCD Widescreen monitor. It originally was an AMD Athlon64 x2 3800+, on a fairly decent Foxconn motherboard with 512MB (2x256) 667MHz DDR2 memory, Bestec 230w PSU, $5 CPU cooler, 80GB Maxtor IDE Drive and a LiteOn DVD Burner. I replaced the PSU with a Thermaltake 500w PSU, the Athlon64 x2 3800+ with an athlon 2 2.8GHz 6750,the crappy memory with 2x1GB of GSkill DDR2 Ram, and the CPU cooler with a Freezer 64, installed with the original motherboard. I also added a $4 Antec 40mm fan screwed directly to the chipset heatsink to tame it's impossibly high 53C temperatures, which dropped the temps to below 40C, and an 80mm Silverstone case fan (it had no fan). it's truly amazing how good an eMachine can be if you remove the junk parts and replace them with quality compnents. That's why it's called Oxi-Moron!

Today I refer to it as my eMachine on Steroids because the Motherboard was replaced with a GigaByte MA785GN-US3H motherboard, an AthlonIIx4 630 Propus Quad Core, and a dedicated XFX HD4670/1GB DDR3 video card. My main computer contributed the 630 Quad when I upgraded to a Phenom II 955BE/C3. The Motherboard and video card set me back $103 + tax w/free shipping, and I upped the memory to 4GB. Total cost for the upgrade was $137 + tax! It's fast, quiet and a very competent gamer. eMachines makes nothing that compares to it in speed or quality, at any price!

My advice to anyone that wants to improve an existing computer or build a new one is research the components you are thinking about buying. Read the reviews and learn to recognize and dismiss negative reviews, caused by stupidity on the part of the builder. believe me, it becomes pretty obvious after a while to weed out the people who don't have a clue! Join a Forum like AD, and don't be afraid to ask questions. The only stupid questions are the ones you never ask. Start planning a build by deciding what you want to use the computer for, and set a dollar value on how much you want to spend. If you are on a budget, spend more time and shop sales, collecting the components one at a time. Search out the best buy for the money, and don't be in a hurry. We have a general PC Building thread and an AMD Building thread here, and there are plenty of knowledgeable people who can help you and give you advice that will help you get the best out of what you can afford to spend. Most people who build their own computers have learned that you can build a better and higher quality computer for less money than it costs to buy a Dell, HP, Compaq or eMachine. Also keep in mind that most people that build their first computer go on to build many more of them. Most of all, enjoy yourself and be patient as it's a constantly changing learning experience.

To get an idea of what you can do with out spending a lot of money, check out the specs on my main computer below, in my Sig. Total cost by shopping sales and making the most out of Mail In Rebates was under $750 for a high quality fast computer, geared to my needs!

Best Regards,
    Russ