1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a desktop out of a Laptop

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by chapelja, Mar 4, 2008.

1. chapelja

chapelja Member

Ok I know it doesnt make to much sense the idea of making a laptop into a desktop but let me explain I have a laptop that does not have a working lcd and I have a small case and an extra monitor that I can start a new build with. my main question is what problem's would I need to worry about running into if any? still kinda new to this as this will only be my second build.Thank's

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

Why don't you just hook the monitor to the laptop? There's no point in putting the laptop into a different case. The laptop doesn't use an ATX standard so you won't be able to mount it into the case. It doesn't use a standard power supply and it doesn't offer PCI ports. What's the reason for putting it into a case? You can also buy a port replicator if you want to connect more devices. If your laptop doesn't offer a port replicator, you can purchase a universal USB port replicator.

3. chapelja

chapelja Member

Because I dont want to have a broken laptop for a computer I would rather be able to have it in the case.

4. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I guess I don't understand your true situation. If it were me, I'd simply put a flat panel monitor on top of the laptop (leave laptop closed). Plug in an external keyboard, mouse, and speakers and you have a nice slim computer. You can still access the CDROM with the laptop closed and you don't have to see the broken screen. You can always paint the laptop case if it doesn't look good.

If you insist on installing your laptop motherboard into a desktop computer case, then you're going to have to do it on your own. As far as I know, cases aren't built for this.