1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a hackintosh -OR- Using Mac OS X in VMWare on a super PC

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by jeanpave, Apr 16, 2010.

1. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

Hello.

If it's possible, I'd like to use Mac OS X (and all the programs that run on it, like iTunes, Final Cut Pro and Safari, let's say) on a PC, just like I could if I bought a Mac.
    I heard there were two options: either I install Mac OS X natively, but the installation discs are awfully picky, or I could use VMWare Workstation on a really powerful PC, but how powerful it has to be I don't really know.

I found a tutorial on how to build a hackintosh for Snow Leopard, but I must say it's an awful lot of work.

On the other hand, I've seen that, if I don't have a top-of-the-line PC, trying VMWare with even the Tiger OS X is a lost cause.

Would someone on this forum, who knows better than me how such a task could be accomplished, tell me which path is better to take, please?

Thanks.

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

1.) iTunes runs on windows. It slows windows down because apple does not know how to write windows code, but it is still faster than running it from a virtual machine. Unless you need it for an iPod/iPad/iPhone, I would recommend about a hundred other apps before I recommended iTunes.
    2.) Final cut pro is a very misleading name. No professional would ever consider using something that lossy. Take a look at adobe premier. If that is too costly, look at Pinnacle.
    3.) Safari? Even iPhone users don't want to use that! Why would anyone want it as a desktop browser? Try Opera or Firefox.

There really isn't any good reason to do mac emulation, unless you already have the software, and you don't want to pay for new software...or maybe if you write software for macs, but don't own one yourself.

As for making a hackintosh, the process is a lot easier than it may seem...apple tries to block it from installing on PC hardware, but a mac is nothing but a underpowered, overpriced PC anyway. Of course, after a few dozen times restarting to OSX just to run one app, you will be looking for something better on windows...and you will find it. Why? Because apple only has about 5% of the PC market, and most developers start with PC versions because the user base is 20x larger. Even those who start on MacOS will port to windows to get that market (assuming there isn't something better on windows already). Even apple does this...porting their best software (iTunes and Quicktime) to Windows, and leaving their junkware (Final Cut Suite) as a Mac exclusive.

3. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

Thanks so much for the insight! I'm so glad somebody finally replied.

But, look, what if I told you that I kind of need to use Final Cut Pro. (I know, I'd rather use APP myself, but...) What scenario of the two would you recommend? I know I have to fork over a significant amount of money, anyway.

I think I'd rather have a top-of-the-line PC. But would the emulation in VMWare, even on a powerful PC, be good enough to allow me to edit and render in FCP7 on Snow Leopard?

P.S. I don't know as much about Macs as you probably do, but from what I've seen I don't wish to own one, either. Hence this thread.

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I honestly think that you would be disapointed with the performance of FCP in VMWARE, even on a very fast system. If you MUST use FCP, and you need to use it a lot, then you will have to setup a hackintosh. I know that it may seem a bit daunting, but there are tons of Hackintosh people out there that are happy to help you. This would probably be your best bet, as you can get faster, better quality hardware for less money than apple would charge you.

5. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

I understand. Thank you very much.

I thought that having a multiple-core PC and something like 8 GB of RAM might do it. But I definitely see your point.

6. lsd447

lsd447 Member

hi well i recently did a couple of snow leopard hackintosh installs seriously easy to do now FCP will run on a netbook with an extra stick of ram added no problems and doing an install of OSX 10.6 to a dell mini 10 is a compleate breeze there are a couple of tools out there that make setting it up easy i installed to a second partion on my notebook and dual boot it with windows 7. the first response was right basically i only installed snow leopard so i could use the sdk for writing iphone apps, my advice buy a dell mini 10 buy a gig of ram for it and read through osx86 website. vmware is good to give you a basic feel for the mac os but it lacks any real power. hope it helped anyway mate best of luck.

7. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

Thanks, Lsd447.
    I'm practically convinced to go for the hackintosh option.

But how about the drivers? You know, for sound, better graphics, etc.?
    Were they easy to find?

8. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I think it is a bit like a linux build; when you are doing your build list, you have to double-check that there are drivers available for the parts that you have picked.

9. jeanpave

jeanpave Regular member

Yes, you're right.

Well, I found some hardware compatibility list wikis (HCL). I'll make sure to consult them.

Thanks, KillerBug.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  10. lsd447

lsd447 Member

sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, the easiest installs at the moment are for netbook's compatability wise anyway, the dell mini 10 being the best of the lot drivers for sound wifi are already injected if you use the right tool for making your instalation disc/usb makes it almost as simple as installing osx on to an apple.

11. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

I don't think he wants to run that pig of an app from a netbook.