1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a new comp. Opinions and advice please!

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by j0rdanzz, Jan 23, 2008.

1. j0rdanzz

j0rdanzz Guest

I have actually bought a new computer, but I wanted some opinions or advice. I have another computer to which I would move my parts into if sometime down the track i chose to do upgrades. The computer I got was within my price range. Here it is:

-Intel Q6600 Quad @ 2.4ghz
    -Asus P5W DH Deluxe (Intel 975X Chipset). I was going to get the Asus Striker Extreme but I did not want to pay fo DDR-3 Memory.
    -x2 1gb Kingston HyperX Dual-Link RAM (800mhz? i think)
    -x2 Sapphire ATI HD 3850's (crossfire) I kow there are alot of people that might say i should have gone with nVidia but for some reason I have always like Radeon products. I am more than able to play bioshock and crysis with this set-up.
    -WS 500gb HDD
    -Asus DVD Drive / Burner
    -Gigabyte 750 watt PSU
    -Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Chassis
    -Asus VW222U 22" inch Monitor (i really like this size)
    -Logitech G15 Keybaord
    -Windows Vista Home Premium

On Vista my base score is (not that it really matters): 5.3
    CPU: 5.9
    RAM: 5.3 (i intend to add more soon)
    Graphics: 5.9
    Gaming Graphics: 5.9
    Storage: 5.7

So please feel free to offer anything you would have done different, would add etc. I would also like some info on liquid coolers that will support my cpu gfx cards and maybe ram/chipsets.

Thanks

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it's usually annoying to see people buy PCs and then ask if they're any good, but that's usually because they aren't. In this case though, the PC is actually prety good, and except for the Kingston RAM, I'd usually recommend it to people.
    The GA-P35-DS3R is usually being chosen in favour of the P5W DH now for overclocking for a lower price, but that's kind of academic, the board you have now is by no means bad.
    As for the HD3850s, I'm not a real advocate of Crossfire, but bang for your buck, the 3850s have it sorted.

As for what you could add to the PC, there's nothing of any grea urgency, except to get overclocking!

3. j0rdanzz

j0rdanzz Guest

Thanks, and yeh I probably should have posted BEFORE buying. I am not really interested in overclocking at the moment (I have never tried). I dont know if it makes a difference but both my 3850's are the 512mb version not the 256mb.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah, the man knows!
    Yeah there's a reasonable difference between the two versions if you game at a resolution of 1680x1050 or above. You picked the right one!

5. j0rdanzz

j0rdanzz Guest

If you had of built this system what would you have put in it. Also I maybe should start another thread or something but I am not very happy with my onbard sound. I read that i can plug a sound card through where my onboard is connected and turn my onboard sound off via a Dip Switch or something? If so how do i do that?
    =]

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not sure about that, but you can disable onboard sound in the BIOS in favour of a PCI sound card, and you can reroute your case's front panel headphone connector to it as well, if you use one. I usually recommend people the Audigy SE card as it's dirt cheap, gives good quality sound and has lots of decent software.

As for me, what would I build?
    Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R
    2x1GB (or 4x1GB) Crucial Ballistix Tracers PC8500C5 or Corsair XMS2 PC6400C4
    1x Sapphire Radeon HD3870
    Western Digital WD5000AAKS
    Sony/NEC Optiarc 20x DVD burner
    Corsair HX 520W PSU
    Samsung SM226BW monitor
    Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard, Razer Diamondback mouse
    Windows XP Professional

7. j0rdanzz

j0rdanzz Guest

Would that be much different/better than my current system??

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, not really. Your current system's really very good. We just differ slightly on our preferred components.

9. j0rdanzz

j0rdanzz Guest

This doesnt really keep in with is my computer any good, but i have never considered overclocking before and now i m not sure if my motherbaord was the right choice. From what i have read the P5W DH Deluxe may restrict how much i manage to overclock my Q6600? Is this true or if i go about it properly i should be able to oc to a good speed and keep my system stable?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The P5W DH Deluxe is probably one of the better performing motherboards out there for overclocking, you shouldn't find it restricts you too much. Just beware that you'll need decent cooling with a Quad core, the stock heatsink won't get you that far.