1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a new PC

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Biglad, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Hi Guys

I have been reading through this forum to pick up as much info as I can, I have finally decided to build my own PC from scratch and am trying to compile a full list of what I will need.

I have been advised the following from somebody :

ASUS motherboard
    AMD processor
    512 DDR 3200 memory
    Graphics Card
    Floppy Drive
    Case with 450w psu

I have a basic knowledge of computers and have upgraded my old pc before but I want the challenge of building a complete system. I am on a very tight budget so want to get a decent pc for as cheap as possible.

I already have a 120gb hard drive, dvd-rom, dvd-rw and speakers with a subwoofer so am after some advise of specific items to get.

I will be using it for internet, word/excel, burning cd's and dvd's and playing Football Manager/Championship Manager. I won't be playing any other games but would also like to be able to watch tv on it so would need a graphics card to do that.

I am based in the UK.

Thanks for any advice you can throw my way.

STEVE

2. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

I have drawn up a list that I am thinking of, just wondered if people could let me know if it's ok ??

X Blade Black Case with 450w psu
    AMD Sempron XP2600+
    Akasa cooler upto 3200+
    ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard
    GeForce FX5200 128mb graphics card
    512mb DDR3200

Thanks very much

STEVE

3. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Hey, Steve. Nice set up you have there. And, good luck in advance on your new PC build.

I'm not sure how much that 2600+ Sempron is but I'd much rather go with an Athlon 2600+ Mobile. These are pretty much the best Socket A overclocking chips ever created. Even if you don't overclock it'll give you great performance and at least you have the ability to overclock. Most people can get these little chips up to around 2.7-.9ish GHz with the right cooling.

The video card is going to choke your system, but like you said you're on a budget and could always get something else later.

I've never used that paticular mobo before but in my experience Asus mobos are fantastic. I'm sure that's a great buy.

All seems great, and since this is your first build you may not want to go with a chip that's only purchased due to it's overclocking ability, but if you ever do get into overclocking at least you have a chip that's ready for it.

4. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Hi mate, thanks for the very quick reply.

The prices I have at the minute are :

X Blade Black Case with 450w psu = £29.68
    AMD Sempron XP2600+ = £57.00
    Akasa cooler upto 3200+ = £7.24
    ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard = £32.23
    GeForce FX5200 128mb graphics card = £36.00
    512mb DDR3200 = £44.84
    Totals £206.99 + a flat screen monitor which I will have a look round for. That is about my budget really.

Overclocking isn't something I can see myself doing mate.

With regards to the graphics card, is it worth getting a better one as I only use Word/Excel, Internet, Burning cd's and dvd's and play Football Manager which doesn't use the latest graphics.

Thanks mate

STEVE

5. Divinus

Divinus Guest

You seen to have done your homework then, Steve. I'm sorry I skipped over your first post and didn't read what you had planned on doing with the computer. Yeah, the 5200 should be a great deal then. Sturdy little card as a friend of mine has one. Just don't expect to pop Doom 3 in and start playing at an acceptable frame rate.

I'm not sure how much 57 euros is but the 2600+ Mobile is around $90 US or so. I'd really rather go with the Mobile but that's just the overclocker in me talking, lol. You really have a nice system going there. It's really nice to help people who have already done their homework and don't just come up and throw 30 different components at you and hope you can sort out which is the best.

Best of luck with your build.

6. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

No worries mate, I definately won't be playing games on it (apart from Football Manager) as I use my PS2 for games.

The 2600+ is £57 (sterling not euros), not sure what that is in Euro's but would the 2600+ be a fast machine for what I need ?? I did look at the 2800+ but that was about another 20 quid, wasn't sure if there was a big quality difference.
    I definately won't be overclocking so will go with the cheaper option to start with as this is my first build which I am really looking forward to.

Thanks for all your advice mate, it really is appreciated :)

7. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Oh, sorry about that, lol. I'm not good with foreign currency. Yeah, that processor should be perfectly fine for what you plan on running.

I'd say if the 2800 was an Athlon XP and not a sempron I'd go with it. Although if it's a Sempron also I'd stick with your current model.

8. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Thanks mate :)

The 2800+ was also a Sempron so I think I will stick with the 2600+.

I did look at the Athlon XP's but they seem more expensive and I would also need a more expensive motherboard which I can't really afford at the moment.

One last question mate if you don't mind, I am getting 512mb ram, is it best to get 2 sticks of 256mb or 1 stick of 512mb ??

Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I too would recommend an Athlon. I have a 2600xp, it is a very capable piece of hardware & I have NO intention of changing it in the near future. Asus boards do have a good rep, I have an MSI K7 delta mobo. The 5200 should suit your purpose down to the ground.
    With the best of intentions once you build your PC, the next thing is that you get a game you fancy. Then you need to upgrade! I know, I am guilty of this myself.
    The key is to make your system as upgradeable as possible.
    I too have a PS2, but I now use my PC for gaming, better graphics etc. I can assure you this was NOT my intention when I built my PC. I take it you have looked in the Overclockers website for bits. I am also in the UK & used Overclockers to great effect.
    I hope this may have been some help & not hinderance!
    I only want you to be completely happy with what you end up with.
    Kind regards,
    Pulsar

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

PS, I would get 1 stick of 512 RAM, otherwise you are using up a memory slot that you may need in the future!

11. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

No, thanks mate, all help/advice is very much appreciated.

Is there a massive difference in Semprons and Athlon XP's ?? Also, if I did go for an Athlon XP I don't think I could get the motherboard I was getting and would probably have to spend more money.

I really can't see myself playing games on it mate as I don't get that much spare time at the moment as we have a little lad which keeps me busy.

I did look at overclockers but I found CCL Computers and Ebuyer the cheapest.

Cheers mate

12. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

I have looked on eBuyer and got a good idea of what I think I will get.

Does this sound ok as I have tweaked a couple of things :

ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard = £39.60

AMD Athlon XP2800, 333FSB, 512kb Cache, BARTON, Retail Boxed inc heatside and fan = £79.33

512mb DDR3200 400mhz = £41.39

XFX GeForce FX5200 128mb DDR AGP8x, TV Out graphics card = £35.00

Casecom KG-828 400w Black ATX case with audio and USB = £24.67

Kingcase Black Keyboard = £2.93

Sony OEM 3.5 Floppy Drive Black = £4.33

That would make a total of £ 227.25

I changed from the Sempron to the Athlon XP, is that a wise choice ??

Cheers guys :)

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Oh baby, that will do very nicely! XP = very wise choice.

14. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Thanks mate

The main points I just want to clarify are :

1) Is the Athlon XP a lot better than the Sempron ?? Also, what is the Athlon XP Mobile ??

2) With regards to the grahics card, would you go for the one above (XFX GeForce FX5200) or I could go for an ATI Radeon 9200SE for £26.99.
    Is there much difference between those two ??

Thanks guys

15. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Thinking about it I am going for the Athlon XP 2800 for definate.

One thing regarding fans, how many do I need to keep everything cool ??

I get a fan & heatsink with the cpu, how many more do I need ??
    Will I need one on the graphics card ??

Cheers :)

16. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

-The Sempron have half the Cache the Athlon XP do so they are slower.For a few pounds more your better off with the Athlon Xp.

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I am not sure if there is much difference in the graphics cards, I have looked on overclockers, it looks like the Nvidia has a fan, I can only assume the ATI has one too. It does not sound like you will be overstressing it with what you require.
    As for a CPU fan, I have a coolermaster Aero7 on my 2.6. They are good for up to 3200XPs I think.
    Your case will probably have grill/mounts for fans. Usually one at the front (you may have to take front off to fit it, depends on design of case.) And one, possibly 2 at the rear.
    I hope this has been of some help!
    Kind regards,
    Pulsar
    PS, Happy building & don't forget to drop back & let us know how you get on!
    You need these as they keep a nice flow of air going through your case, this also feeds the CPU fan, & exhausts all your warm air!

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I think the XP mobile is for laptops.

19. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

Buy the retail AMD Athlon it comes with a Heatsink and Fan included and a 3 year warranty and not a 90 day warranty like the OEM chip.

20. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Just noticed you are getting fan included. That is a VERY nice little processor. Your memory will also kick ass. You appear to have chosen most wisely biglad!
    Use the force!