1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building Computer and Need Help!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Auslander, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the drive has been fdisk'd and formatted about a dozen times in the past 24 hours.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

ok, i need to re-read the whole thing... processing.....

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

lol, sorry, creakster. i've been going over everything, myself. all the connections are good, all the equipment is mounted and clean and seems functional...the disc is mint...i'm not sure...

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

just now the pc made a crazy loud buzzing noise and froze while copying setup files to repair the previous setup installation.

5. creaky

no worries, disaster is my middle name..
    still reading (i'm slow as have been on PC all day and it's not comfy on floor of boat!). how about putting the spare hard drive in the old pc, getting '98 installed, and suited and booted, then put drive in other pc and going from there???

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

where did the buzzing noise come from in the computer as might be psu problem. try changing the ide cables. what are you posting from, your laptop or what??

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

was on the sister's laptop, now i'm a floor below on my dad's computer. i couldn't locate the source of the buzzing, but the pc was totally frozen.

creaky, i'd prefer not to go all through that, consider the old pc is nothing but a pile of parts at the moment. i was hoping for a bit of a faster solution :(

8. creaky

it's sounding heat related - i bet the fx55 is a nuclear reactor re heat, my amd 2800 is like global warming in a tin...

9. ddp

slave your hd to you father's so can copy the files of windows to your hd from the cd.

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the ide cable from the hd to the mobo is brand new, and from teh disc drives to the mobo is almost as new.

at the moment, i'm doing the ntfs format (the long one, not quick) on the C partition again and letting it install yet another time.

11. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

my dad's is running Windows ME and i've never been able to get it to do a slave drive properly before. it's a castrated Gateway version of windows.

from the reviews, teh stock heatsink seemed like it would keep my proc plenty cool, and i have several fans and relatively good ventilation in my case, creaky. at the moment, the side is off.

12. creaky

ok without spreading the problem (one of my fave tricks!) to your dad's pc, is to use your dad's pc as the guinea pig. take it his hard drive and put safely, then take the problematic hard drive in his pc, set it up any which way you need to, even if it's 98 bootable, then transfaer that hard drive to new pc.

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

therein lies another problem, though. for some reason, i can never re-register windows. i'm about sick of this old drive. i'm leaving for walmart in half an hour; i'll pick up a new 80 gig and go from there.

14. creaky

and another handy trick for troubleshooting stuff like this is to have the odd Linux 'live' cd around (i know you're on dial up so this is no good for this build - but keep it in mind for another time).. these discs are a whole linux environment running off the cd. i'm not suggesting the geeky stuff (presuming you had such a 'live' cd) such as mounting the hard drive under the linux environment and copying stuff around. all good stuff but not required today!. you'd have been able to boot off one of those discs and at least see if the new pc was stable.. as i say, food for thought for another time..

still reading the whole thread, sorry :)

15. creaky

cool about an extra hard drive, i often have too few hard drives around for an emergency install. ps the reason i keep harping on about '98 is that you haven't got that XP activation $hit to worry about yet, you can concentrate in shoe-horning a.n.other OS onto the hard drive and worry about XP later..

16. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i got 98 on it before, but just as then (after a fresh, in-depth fdisk), every time i started the machine MS Explorer "committed an illegal error" and shut down. do you think hitting it again would work? i had thought it incompatible with my system.

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

18. creaky

my god you mean there's a thread out there i hadn't subscribed to!.

i'm a bit out of date with the advances in PC stuff but i'd have thought ddp would have highlighted something by now if there was a conflict..

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

that's what i was relying on :p i don't believe there's a conflict...all the equpipment should have either been replaced or proven good buy now...at this point, i'm positive it's just the hard drive. i was hoping ddp would be able to confirm it, but there's lots of people around here that need his help more than me, i'm sure. :( he's an important resource!

i need my master tech-ai! XD

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  20. ddp

i'm here!!! try using your hd in place of your father's to see if does same problem or not