1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building Computer and Need Help!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Auslander, Aug 12, 2005.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

support & learn

2. creaky

don't tempt me!

3. wbfconst

wbfconst Regular member

creaky; I'm going to be doing some major upgrades soon, and after watching the way you helped Auslander, I want to be sure your online when I do.

4. creaky

fanx!, no worries, i'll do what i can, just holler

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

all that just for a bad stick of ram...that severely pisses me off, lol. but everything's installing just fine in my room at the moment. i should have that compie surfing the net and loaded with my old crap in 6 hours or less :)

the last two times i went through this, i thought i learned everything i needed to know. yet i've learned sooo much more! can't wait to see how this baby games!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, most everything is installed now...there's few proggys and whatnot to go, and here's another update! :)

my gaming performance feels slightly enhanced, but the machine is still running slower than i'd prefer. it feels quite bottle-necked by something, and i wonder if that's the pc2700 ram that's currently in it. what do you guys think? there's the ide hard drive of course, but it seems like it ran faster than this at point. i'm not sure what it could be.

7. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

45 minutes to encode the main movie of Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring? that sounds a little long, doesn't it? this bottleneck is starting to get to me! :(

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

until you get replacement ram than don't worry about it. do the drives have dma enabled??

9. creaky

...and i must admit i've never tried to rip any of the LOTR as they're sooo long and i'd have huge compression to suffer. if any of my original LOTR get damaged it's cheaper for me to buy a used copy for far cheaper than burning to say a DL media..

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yupps, it's DMA 2...about monday i'm sending the ram back in for a replacement...i need to find out about newegg's return policy.

i wasn't ripping LOTR rings to actually copy it, creakster...that was just to do a test. :p

11. creaky

Cool. Just checking..

12. Sledge13

Sledge13 Member

try the command: fdisk /mbr before you format the drive, after fdisking it.

13. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

umm..everything is up and running now, sledge. thanks, though. but as it turns out, i think it was just bad ram. i'll try that new stick again tonight to be sure, though.

14. Sledge13

Sledge13 Member

I had the same exact problems after using nt2000 pro. No other op sys would onstall. nothing but errors, lock ups and such. win me, xp and 2000 all use the same core and can cause the same problems. Anyway, this got rid of the problems and gives a fresh system to boot on. it took me 3 months and about 300 hours of frustration before I found this fix. Hope it helps.

15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if i run into this problem again, i'll give that a try then. thanks :)

16. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

the 512 stick of pc3200 wasn't bad...it was just in the wrong one ofthe four slots...*embarassed blush* however, i have a new question. at the moment, i have one 512 stick of pc3200, two 256 sticks of pc2700, and one 512 stick of pc2100. what do you guys think is the optimal way to use this ram. at th moment, i have all 1.5 gigs in the rig, but it's running at pc2100 speeds, bottlenecking me about as bad as the half gig of pc2700. do you think i should just leave the one stick of pc3200 in there? i'm hoping to get another stick of it in the next few months to get a gig of it and maybe run dual-channel. my system seems to be trying to go faster; is the ram the bottleneck?

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try with just the 3200 to see if any difference in speed with the 2700

18. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it ran with just the 3200 stick for a while; i did, however, get a restart. then i tried to run doom 3 for a bit, and it just kept restarting from that point on. i'm wondering if i lack the ability to run on only one stick of ram. at this point, i'm back to the two 2700 sticks.

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i downloaded SpeedFan from a link i found in one of ddp's posts, and from that i'm getting three temperature readings: 65C, 126C, and 128C. i'm guessing the processor is the 65C, and that's telling me the stock heatsink needs to be replaced immediately. so off to newegg i go.

20. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

and here's the point where i'm in a load of crap. can anyone recommend a good socket 939 heatsink that's simple to install and has some kind of physical means to adjust the fan speed, like a knob in an empty floppy drive bay?