1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building my 1st System, it wont turn on!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dopefish, Feb 12, 2007.

1. dopefish

dopefish Member

I bought some parts to build myself a cheap dual core system today. But when I put it all together, it wouldn't start even though the motherboard is getting power, and so is the case!

Nothing happens when I hit the power switch, no fans, no signal.

Here is what I have:

Landmark Athen A412BB-400W PSU
    E6300 CPU
    intel DG965WH MB
    2x 512 DDR2 PC-5300 CL5 Kingston Value Ram
    120 GB Western Digital IDE HD
    onboard sound/video

This is my first time building a PC on my own, so I followed the instructions for the mosther board and CPU installation. All the plugs seem to be in the right place. I have the two power supply connections running to the Motherboard (2x2 and 2x12) and all the plugs from the case have been attached to their respective sockets.

The motherboard and case are both lit up, so I assume they are getting power. I had a hell of a time getting the stock heatsink on, but I finally got it.

My only ideas are maybe something about the way I put the CPU in ( It doesn't seem as firmly plugged in as old CPU's I had installed.) Or maybe the On/Off switch connection. But it is in the correct spot, I have even reversed it to check.

I am hoping someone out with a lot more experience than me might be able to recognize my problem just from the symptoms I have described.. but so far all my friends have been useless. Tech support hasn't replied either :(

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

Mike

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Firstly make sure that the BIOS is version 0816 or later.
    Take the CPU out, and double check you have it in correctly, it should only be able to sit one way because of the notches in two of the sides.
    The 775 CPUs don't use pins anymore they just sit on the contacts and then are clamped down.
    Getting the heatsink on should be very easy, just line it up and let it rest on the CPU, you can feel the compound make a smooth contact if it is moved.
    Then just pop alternate corners into place.
    Maybe just take the board out of the case and make sure that you mount the CPU and fan before putting it in the case.
    Make sure the ram is in the correct slots and that it is fitted correctly, and look up what the correct voltage is for the memory, this board may not let you adjust the voltage and it may default at lower than the memory requires. (do you get any beeps when booting up?)

Start with that, as I need to go, but will check back later to see how you are getting on.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

The first thing i would check would be the connection from the power on/off button to the motherboard. i had an old Dell that use to come loose. Then when i pressed it nothing powered on.

only other time i experienced this is last weekend when i was installing new hard drives. the ATX Power connector (seen in this picture)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...775+Intel+975X+ATX+Intel+Motherboard+-+Retail

has 1 larger part and then a small part with just 4 plugs, the larger part was still attached but the smaller part had come out (wish this would have been a i 1 piece connection). So the blue light on my power switch was lit, but it would not turn on.