1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building PC to run in my Attic 24/7, heat questions

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by AtticPc42, Jun 16, 2009.

1. AtticPc42

AtticPc42 Member

I am building a old system as much as i can to withstand ambient heat, not from running software or over clocking but from constant running 24 hours a day in the attic. I know it sounds silly having the system running in the attic but for the purpose i plan it is ideal. I am setting the computer up as a dedicated Dvr linked to a couple of security cameras at my residence, and in my opinion the system that is doing the recording should be as inaccessible as possible (within reason) and most importantly discrete and hidden leading to my solution of the attic.

The Attic i would estimate at about 1000 cubic feet or so, and i could be very off on that figure but it has over 5 feet of clearance in the center. There is an attic fan that has both a thermostat and a master power switch in the living area of the house so the attic is WELL vented at my will. Where i live it is a rather warm area in the summer months temps can get over 100 F outside so A/C is practically a necessity. The attic i would assume may heat up to as much as 120F thats roughly 49C and system temps on average are about 15C over ambient temp putting the system roughly at 64C (complete estimate). I realize i am pushing temp limits here with the CPU, HDD, and PSU, as they start to quote about 60C or so max operating temp.

The system that is being used is Gateway 330 2.8ghz, 2gb Ram, on board video and it will be running a DVR PCI card and wireless network card. 1 90mm fan in the front to pull and another one in the back to suck, with a 70mm fan on the CPU's *decent* heat sink. I am thinking i just might get away with it if i can get enough airflow through the case. I also understand dust and stuff in the attic will make its way into the case so i plan on cleaning the system roughly ever other week or so until i see how much it actually accumulates.

Am i crazy? do you think this will even be a possibility? Any suggestions/Warnings for ways to help in this situation would be very appreciated Thanks

2. MUNKYEARS

MUNKYEARS Regular member

Ok, well heat shouldnt be so much of a problem as long as you have a few case fans. your case might heat up a little bit nothing too deadly.

Only thing i would say as a problem would be your PSU.

They are not designed to be running for days on end, and most likely part to fail after so long.

My advice: either case with 2 PSU or a Uninterupptable PSU.

The latter would be more sensable. als o i recommend stocking up on cheap 300W PSU, as many PC fail in high temperatures.

also, calculate the humidity, you dont want water getting inside your PC. maybe some Akasa Case foam would help absorb the humid temperatures

3. AtticPc42

AtticPc42 Member

Of the 3 components i am worried about the PS is the low man, i have an extra 300w PS ready to go if this one fails. Also the humidity isnt an issue, even when it is really humid where i live it is nothing compared.

I am going to test the system as soon as i get all the parts in, and see how it holds up in the attic.

Oh and i don't know about PSU's not being made to run 24/7 as most of the computers i buy will be running 24/7 for the first few years of their use. MY main PC is on 24/7 and has been for 3 years and with proper cleaning my case is still whisper quiet and the system is still running strong like the day i bought it. Granted this one doesn't sit in the attic lol

4. MUNKYEARS

MUNKYEARS Regular member

Well, you have to cover all your bases. I dont know how that pc is going to hold out. i suppose if you keep an eye on it regularly it shouldnt be much of a problem

Good luck, let me know how it holds out

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

i would get rid of the stock CPU fan that your gateway came with and install an aftermarket one. thermaltake (sp??) makes excellent CPU fans. they start at $20 and go up to $90, but the expensive ones are just very quiet. so since its in an attic, the cheaper louder ones should work fine. I recommend this because if this is a DVR security camera server then your CPU is going to be under constant use, and probably wont' ever be idle.

6. AtticPc42

AtticPc42 Member

Thanks for the advise, the stock Cpu fan is something that i am defiantly keeping an eye on and will replace as soon as it even starts make the slightest abnormal whine if not sooner. I haven't made an update here cuz i have been kinda busy installing and troubleshooting any problems with the system.

Note about system, i had to add a Pci 256mb Gpu since the Dvr card didn't like the on board Gpu.

The system ran for about 18 hours with the camera hooked up and everything running down here in my office to get a baseline temp it would run at in ideal ambient temps.

Since Speedfan wont read my Cpu temps i don't have that figure but i have a sensor in both the Gpu and the Hd of the system that Speedfan can monitor. The GPU averaged about 41C which i was very surprised by as this was under somewhat load and still quite cool. The Hd averaged about 30C and didn't peak much past that at all.

At about 1pm this afternoon in 90F temps i set the system up in the attic roughly where i want it to stay, mind you the attic must have been 100F. I am using remote desktop to monitor Speedfan and the computer in general. The Gpu Peaked around 54C and the Hd around 43C both of these figures i think are well within tolerances by at least 15C before i run into trouble.

So far it looks really good overall, my biggest concern now is Fire safety. I know most systems have internal sensors that will automatically shutdown if they reach critical temps but it is still a very large concern when i am away from home. I am thinking i just might cut "tiles" of that fireproof board that is somewhat similar to drywall but has more of a concrete consistency for underneath and directly above the system (by above i mean any exposed wood from the under side of the roof roughly 3 feet above) to minimize any exposure to wood in direct contact with the system. And most defiantly a smoke detector!!! I am not sure if i am stressing about something that most likely wont be an issue but any advise would be great.