1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building Portable DVD Player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Jbar, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Jbar

Jbar Guest

hi. I was wondering how hard it would be to build my own portable player. I have an old dvd player and a small lcd screen. has anyone tried this?please post comments

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't that be a pretty big portable??

3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

if you were planning on mounting it in a car, all youd need is the wiring, a 12v to 240v (or whatever your household voltage is) convertor, some way of shock proofing the dvd player, and the ability to hook up to car amps for sound output. However this is quite 'dodgy'as household equipment isnt really designed for this

if you were planning on making it portable, as in carry around, i think it will be too big and you would still have the powering problem.

Correct me if im wrong, an lcd 17inch screen would cost about $600AUD for decent quality, a dvd player $200, power convertor anywhere from $100 to $1000, whereas a portable dvd player with 8inch screen can be had for $400 and it runs on batteries, has speakers built in and the ability to output sound. Or a decent car install could be had for around 3-4000AUD using equipment designed for the purpose