1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building Tower For 1st Time, Please Help :)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by OnlyJosh, Dec 19, 2007.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't wear the latex gloves. ground yourself to the case before placing components in the case. install motherboard, cpu, cpufan assembly, ram, videocard & psu then powerup system to see if posts correctly. then install the drives & repowerup to see if motherboard sees drives.

2. tejasmed

tejasmed Member

So far I have seen nothing leading you off the path. I just finished building a full tower with Intel Core 2 Quad using an Asus board.
    When installing the chip and the cooler fan, go to the store like Fry's and pick up some silver paste, don't trust just the white stuff. I was warned not to trust the small wattage that you will be using, I went for above 600 watts. What you are using for a powersupply will stress and will probably burn out in 6 months. If you can, try to use the newer tube cables and stay away from the ribbon cables. The newer cables allow more air flow. A couple of extra fans installed would help. The black wire is the ground, red is hot. Fans are usually all 12 volt, and even old power supplies are sources to rob, if you can't afford the new pretty lit quiet ones.
    Above all, like carpentry, measure twice and cut once. Do as the guy says, check it all over at least twice and then try to get it to post before proceeding.
    The most important thing I did was sit down with the manual and the motherboard and a magnifying glass and inspect where every contact went before I installed anything.
    I hope you are smart enough to be using XP pro and not Vista. I could go on, but the last piece of advice is to have a copy of Norton Antivirus ready to install. You are going to need to be hooked to the internet almost right away as Windows is installing.

3. OnlyJosh

OnlyJosh Member

i'll have to see abut the psu, but i will be using xp yes, And being contected to the internet is no problem since i use cable 7Mg. Thank u for your help and i will fallow everything u all tell me. I'll be back im sure to let u know how it goes. It won't be for acouple weeks yet though. Thanks bye for now

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A relatively smart post on the whole tejasmed, except for the power supplies. Cheap high wattage units will destroy PCs more often than they will power them, and are incredibly unreliable, not to mention unsafe. I can't say the wattage figure is irrelevant, but the average gaming PC uses less than 200W from the power supply. Buy quality units, and above all, NEVER nick a PSU from an old pre-built system, it will almost always be inadequate.

5. OnlyJosh

OnlyJosh Member

so your pretty much saying what?? lol

Should i look for a 600W Psu??

I was maybe thinking about this one...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2132071&CatId=1483

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope. The vast majority of gaming PCs (including a large number of SLI and Crossfire rigs) will work off a decent 450W unit, but that's the thing, it must be decent. That means NO to 500, or even 700W units by terrible companies like Rosewill, AOpen, Bestec, Qtec, Magna, Kingmax and other such companies.
    However, the following are units I'm happy to recommend using in most gaming PCs:
    Corsair VX 450 / 550W
    Corsair HX 520 / 620W
    OCZ StealthXStream 600W
    Thermaltake Toughpower

Avoid straying from that list. Since the 450W VX is probably going to be the cheapest of that list, that's what I'd recommend. It's still a very well built unit and can deliver ample power for most PCs.

7. OnlyJosh

OnlyJosh Member

For right now then i'll stay with this one like u said in the 1st place...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

8. tejasmed

tejasmed Member

Good point on the powersupplies. Never try to take an old power supply and use it with the newer boards. I will agree that some of the cheaper models of the newer type do not have the best of power regulation electronics and that could cause surges. I like all the suggestions of the brands. What I had to look for recently was the newer power supplies having all the extra SATA plugs. Really fell in love with SATA after I found out how fast and reliable they were. As far as hard drives, I have stayed with Maxtor and had the least trouble. They have been bought out by Seagate, but I do not think it will alter the quality control in the long run.
    Since this is a do it yourself forum, I will make a general suggestion to learn a bit of patience when making a decision of how to put together a new system. These forums are a great learning tool when you scan through them. The first thing I do, is get a loose leaf binder and some file folders. I will begin a list of things that are needed to build a computer. Somewhere along the line, you have made a decision as to your ultimate end use of the dream computer. Josh wants a low price, but efficient gaming computer. I wanted a new faster unit that would handle my digital media and would not hurt me when I am forced to up grade Windows in a couple of years. Line out your priority first. Now, start doing your homework. Go into the internet and drool over all the cool new stuff. Print out the pages that have all the component lists. When you see a component you have no idea what it is, go in and do a search and learn about it. I took 3 days learning just what the new slots were used for and why isa and agp slots are going away. Sit down and begin making a list of the components you want in your dream machine. Take a few days and learn the different slots needed for the CPUS that are on the market. When you finally decide which CPU chip you want to use, go into the website of that company and to the company of the mother board you choose and find out what type of compatable memory DRAMM you need. Line them all out on paper.
    Then piece by piece, go into the internet and do your shopping. I found my Corsair chips at a CA store that were a hundred less a pair than another national brand. Even the same Corsair chip pair was 80 bucks cheaper by just shopping several on line stores. Try to stay away from reburbished stuff, I have been burned on boards. Maybe some of the other guys can pick up on this thread and throw some more ideas in.
    Regards and luck
    Tejasmed

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Most ULTRA PSUs are bad(some, like the 700W XVS Modular are good though lol). BTW NCIX has the Corsair VX-550 for 75 dollars. You might want that in favor of the 450.

10. tejasmed

tejasmed Member

Abuzar 1:
    How do you like the Thermaltake Armor Tower? I bought two identical ones and love them. Sure made putting together a system easy and the fans are quiet. Hansome rigs with blue lights, neat. However, they need to do something about the connectors for the audio coming in from the top. Big trouble finding a way to hook up.

Tejasmed

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I never use the front audio but I had no problems with it. I LOVE the case, it's the best one I've ever had. I don't think I can go back to mid-tower cases again. It looks very nice too. The only problem I've had is the dust filter, they are very difficult to clean. I'm thinking of taking out the little foam things inside of the covers. I'm hoping to sell this PC though, so I can pick up the identical case with the 25cm side fan for 90 bucks!

Later on I'll add parts to it as the new Penryn CPUs come out.

12. tejasmed

tejasmed Member

abuzar1: Actually, both cases are not identical. One has a fan on the door and the other does not. The one without the side fan has a fan in the slots up front and shows up a neat blue. Since the rig I use for the video and digital photo stuff runs hotter, I just changed out the doors and plugged the side fan in the MB. The other unit is a Pent 4 and I put a regular fan in the front slot. The Pent 4 was never that cool in the old case. The case already has 4 fans in it, really don't need the 5th one, but it won't hurt. I got my side fan case for about the same deal because they had a rebate on the unit. I want to use the old Pent 4 for strictly a work computer.
    I have something even neater. I use a Matrox double screen system. Two 19 inch monitors, side by side. The old unit has an agp slot, so I am having trouble getting a good replacement board, just had to send back one and another on the way, different kind. The new unit (for video) uses the pci ex x16 slot and I had to buy a new Matrox vid board for it. Now, the neat thing is this new box I bought made by IOGEAR that allows me to switch the trackball and keyboard and both monitors from computer to computer at the touch of a button. I love it when a plan finally comes together.
    Out of curiosity, do you or anyone else have any good reasons why the monitors are going to widescreen? The info might be of use to someone thinking of adding one to a new rig.
    Tejasmed

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Tejasmed: Being bought out by Seagate should improve Maxtor's QC significantly, Maxtor were among the least reliable drives based on the experience of all the people I know, but I will concede there was no 'bad' drive manufacturer. You just get what you pay for. Maxtor drives were cheap, and therefore weren't as good.
    As far as doing research goes, it's something I do regularly, and have done since I first started upgrading my second PC back in 2004. By keeping up to date with the new releases, I've never found I have to sit down and read through a whole load of articles to know what it is I may or may not want with my next upgrade.
    I will wholeheartedly agree with avoiding refurbished and OpenBox stuff though. Typically it's warranty returns, not unwanted gifts.
    Abuzar: Indeed they are, and after telling me they're built in the same factory as Rosewills, I won't be recommending any of them!
    Tejasmed (again): Yeah, KVM switches are prety useful things. I had considered one, but in al honesty, I don't need to interface with my other PC often, I just use Putty to send it commands over a network instead. As for widescreen monitors, more and more people are using their PCs to watch DVDs or related material, and consequently widescreen makes better sense, since almost all films/TV etc are in widescreen format these days (some are even in panoramic 2.4:1 so you stil get black bars even with a widescreen monitor). It also makes sense for gaming. A wider screen aspect ratio gives you a greater field of view, and generally makes games feel more involving. Playing games in a 4:3 aspect ratio feels weird after being accustomed to widescreen gaming, but making that switch in the first place wasn't disorientating at all, it made games seem that much more real. You'll notice that large monitors (above c. 21") in the old 4:3 ratio don't really exist any more. If it's big screen you're after, widescreen it is!

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, they are very tempting. Not needing any additional cooling though, I'll stick with what I have. :)

16. tejasmed

tejasmed Member

ABUZAR1:
    I checked my receipts and both the manuals. The manuals are identical. The case I bought through New Egg was the one without the side fan. I just happened in to Micro Center here locally in the Houston area and saw the deal with the discount. When he brought the unit out, I was pleased that it had the side fan, but when I got it home, (sealed box) it did not have a front fan. It had a rear blue lit fan, one for the power supply, one for the roof, and the large door fan. No big deal for me, the front fan takes up three bays anyway, and by putting in a smaller fan, I can use another one of the slots for more access. I like to have two CD/DVD drives and a couple of panels to have extra firewire and USB ports in the front for easy access.
    Unfortunately, I did not get the best deal on the first case, but the rebate on the second got me down to your price. In any case, I am happy with the purchases as this is the first time I am able to get in and out of a case easily and configure the components without tearing the whole thing apart to replace just one drive. Those guys with those super cooling whoppers of cpu fans still have room to cuss a cat. Thermaltake also provides enough standoff screws and hold down screws to install almost any hardware. The back/ top bay will hold three standard drives by just slip in/click, and screw down. The front bays, except for the top two or three, will require an addition of side rail adaptors to make them wide enough to center into the slots. As for dust filters, maybe one of the other gurus can make some suggestions. For now, I am happy with my two pretty, quiet twins sitting on the table next to me.
    Tejasmed

17. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I mean it's nice that they trap dust, but they are difficult to clean and they make my case look bad. I mean it looks dusty in the front and I just don't like it. I'm not like sam... jk. :)

18. tejasmed

tejasmed Member

ABUZAR1:
    I checked the New Egg site and the one advertised is VA8003BWS the one I got from New Egg was VA8000BWS. Go for it while the discount is on.
    Tejasmed

19. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have the Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS right now too. It's just that I would need to sell this one first to be able to afford another case. See I already have it up on craigslist.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/sys/519319305.html

20. tejasmed

tejasmed Member

SAMMORRIS:
    Thanks for the info on wide screens. Being forced into retirement at 68, I have time to tinker and dip into the savings once in a while for the toys. I was doing computer work out of the house by pulling down architectural drawings and getting quotes for contractors. The ex boss got to hiding the profits, so I just got out a few months ago. Even at my age, I still hope to find more work for myself doing much the same on the internet. I found that it was a bit risky having all my stuff on one computer, so that is why I opped for a second unit to do only my digital photography and video stuff.
    While several friends are "Game Lords", I never was one for gaming. To each their own. I picked up on the dual screen thing because I can be looking at one area, and be working in another area. It used to drive me nuts using the alt / tab keys in Windows. Three monitors is too wide for the desk, but I would love to go quad, and stack them. People have no idea how much more productive multiple screens can make you in an office situation. I used to be in direct contact via internet with the office while I was working on the other downloads and transfering the files to the office mainframe. I could form up a quote, stick it in Winfax and send out to 20 contractors and be working on several other projects at the same time. The guys at the office would have to stand over the fax machine for an hour to do what I did in less than 5 minutes. But, no one would listen.
    Have not had the desire to sit and watch a movie on the computer screen. I much more prefer sitting in the dark in the living room watching the big screen TV. Guess I got spoiled. Again, to each his own. Only thing is, it is just me and the cat, and my wireless head phones. The wife is undisturbed snoring in the master bed room that just happens to be on the other side of the wall where the big TV is located.
    So much for this, regards......wonder how Josh is doing getting his stuff together.
    (Note to moderator: I finally figured out where the icon was to modify previous posts. Sorry for multiple posts. )Tejasmed

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007