1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building two PC's with one OS

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by snakebeans, Jun 21, 2013.

1. snakebeans

snakebeans Member

hi guy's,

i just built a pc for my son and will be building mine next month, my question is..
    can i use his copy of Win 7 in mine and if so what are the repercussions. im basically trying to save my self the cost of a second licence.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

No! not a good idea web search for what is microsoft windows activation,then you'll understand,in a nut shell activation collects hardware info of the 1st activation,any & all changes done to said hardware including serial numbers of (cpu,graphics,ram,network cards etc)will be flagged,this means at some point your sons comp will give a message "reactivation required",basically if you do activate it on both comps you risk loosing the license all together

Is there any particular reason you need windows as zorin linux like other linux OS's are free & zorin v6.3 32/64bit (stable)can do what windows does (as it' windows like) as all & any extra software required is stored in one place called repositries

zorin
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin

other linux distro's = (distributions)
    http://distrowatch.com/

check your pm

3. aldan

aldan Active member

carefull where you tread here.sounds like piracy to me.if you cant figure it out on your own in regards to piracy,dont ask here.by the way,whats wrong with windows 7.too much for you? reported.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

5. snakebeans

snakebeans Member

nah im not trying to Pirate anything, i just dont like having to pay twice for something i already have. i was just trying to save a few quid, if i cannot load it on my two PC's, in my house, without buying a second copy then so be it. a trip back to the shop isnt a major issue :)

i have never used any of the free OS systems, will i still be able to play all the games i buy? basically this and my sons machine is designed for gaming only so im not arsed about general programmes.

thanks for the replies guys.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Nah it would require emulation,be better off getting another copy perhaps if available a multi license, i think the real term is family license it allows you to install multiple copies of the same OS type on more than one machine

7. snakebeans

snakebeans Member

thanks scorpNZ your replies are a big help. i will probs get a multi license.