1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Built a new computer, having problems

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Astromic, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Astromic

Astromic Member

So I have built my new computer I have worked on for awhile and coming here for help to fix the bugs because this is my source of knowledge.

My computer:

MB: Abit ix38 quad gt 775
    Video: EVGA 512-P3-n841-a3 8800 GTS
    CPU: c2d 6750 2.6ghz
    Mem: G. Skill 2 1 gig sticks f2-6400phu2-2gbhz Timings 4-4-4-12
    Power: ocz|OCZ700gxssli 700w rt
    HD: WD500g sata2 300mb/s
    Case: aerocool
    Cooling: watercooled CPU, case cooling is excellent.

Well the problem I am having is my first build, I got it all running perfectly and it started crashing at night when I was asleep, woke up one morning and it had a windows error and needed the windows disk to repair the system. Did this and got the computer up and running again, but could not install the windows updates this time around, was able to download but it just said failed to install. So I ran a diskcheck to try to fix anything.

Two days later it started crashing again while playing games under small load (25% or so). Then one night while playing, get a bsod, error was something about a nv4_disp.dll, googled that and found out bad video card drivers. So I updated the drivers and got past this error. 20 minutes later surfing the web, computer crashes. I reboot and after doing the normal bios stuff, it goes to the windows loadup screen and then blacks out on me, where the windo logo would normally be, is a black screen and my computer never gets past this.

So I talk to a few people and they say HD, so I go and replace my HD with a new one. Reinstall everything normally, update windows and get everything running like it should. Go to install World of Warcraft and it freezes on disk one, try again and later in game it freezes, get an error of corrupt data and to run a scandisk. Run it and it finds stuff on stage 1 2 and 3, but not 4 or 5.

Go to install WoW again and freeze again, after 4 trys I am able to get to disk 2 on installing WoW, but it freezes there. Tried 2 different dvd drives to install, no luck. Checked all my cables and no luck, also tried a different set of WoW disks, once again no luck. I am at a loss.

Any clue what the problem could be? Memory? MB? Settings?
    Any help is greatly appriciated guys as I am out of my mind on this one.

2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I could be memory. Try taking all the sticks out and then take one stick and test it in each slot and see if you get any problems, and try the same thing with the other memory. This will help you find out if you have problems with the memory.

Have you overclocked it at all?

3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Check the memory and hard drive. May also be the video card. What power supply do you have? Try running the IBM hard drive diagnostics.

4. EWOcelot

EWOcelot Member

It actually sounds like the mobo may be the problem

5. NFSking

NFSking Regular member

Damn men that can be different problems you have there, first you need to check the memory, use this http://www.memtest86.com/
    remove 1 stick and run the test, if no problems found, remove it and place the other one, run the test then try with both and run test again. Let me know what happens and I will continue helping you with the rest.

6. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  7. jdmek9

jdmek9 Member

hello everyone im in need of some help. well i just put together my first pc its really basic.
    amd 64 4000+ dual core cpu
    gigabyte ga-m61sme-s2
    1gb ddr2 ram
    80gb hdd
    450w power supply

so i put everything together and when i power on the monitor does not show anything.. the status light on the monitor goes green for about 1sec at the most then just goes back to orange. all my fans are working the dvd-rom works. everything gets power but my monitor does not turn on? what can be the problem?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Astromic: I'd check the motherboard and the graphics card as primarily potential troublemakers. Abit boards are supposed to be good, but a lot of people have issues getting them running initially. There also seem to have been an unusually high number of faults regarding EVGA graphics cards recently too.
    jdmek9: You should really start your own thread for this, or post in the Official PC building thread. Which 400W PSU are you using? A lot of cheap units are good for nothing heaps of crap.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  9. jdmek9

jdmek9 Member

sammoris- well im not sure what brand it is i took it from my old pc.but everything gets power so i doubt that would be it?? as far as starting a new thread. i've been in other forums and normally they dont like you to start a new thread when there's one with the same topic as your question.. but maybe i should..

10. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

to jdmek9: Try to reset the BIOS. Do you hear a beep from the motherboard? Is the hard drive light on constantly or does it blink?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, the PSU is more important than you think. Just because things get power doesn't mean that the power is stable. The PSU may not be the problem, but for safety reasons you should invest in a proper unit. Cheaper ones often catch fire when stressed.

12. jdmek9

jdmek9 Member

core2kid- well no i do not hear a beep i dont see the hdd light turn on either.. i feel it spinning but no light. its a sata hdd so i dont know if that matters.. i've already reseted the bios but nothing happens.. btw this is all new stuff except for the psu. and its the initial startup so i havent messed with any settings so far.

13. jdmek9

jdmek9 Member

i just noticed that everything i plug in, in the i/o slots turns on as soon as it makes contact then turns of i.e (optical mouse,keyboard,MONITOR) so maybe this is why the monitor does not turn on. maybe it is the psu (i hope) because the psu im using worked perfectly fine with my other pc. i had to buy a 20 pin to 24 pin converter so maybe thats the reason..soes this sound like the psu sammorris?

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Usually when there is no beep that means its not posting. In other words, its initial check is failing. This could be anywhere from a memory seating problem, CPU dead to motherboard bad. I would start by isolating your motherboard and starting with 1 component at a time and going on. As for the HDD LED, i think its not hooked up properly if it doesnt turn on at all. It should blink on startup when the disc spins up.

15. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

That can be the problem if you had to buy the converter. Try this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052
    but before that try out what I posted earlier with isolating the motherboard. What PC did the 450 watt come out of?

16. jdmek9

jdmek9 Member

ive tried doing that (one component at a time) but same results.. now for the hdd led.. i dont see it light up on the actual hdd and as far as the light on the tower, it does not light up either.. i'm certain i connected it correctly as i followed the mobo manual. i'll double check.. btw thanks for your helo

17. jdmek9

jdmek9 Member

hey, well i just want to thank you guys for your help i really appreciate it. i took off another psu from another old pc and conected it and tada!! bios screen! lol.. i will deffinately buy a new psu...

18. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Good to hear! So it was the PSU. Take a look at the link I sent you for the PSU. Those are cheap and good. Also take a look at the HDD LED now when installing or running windows. Does it blink? Which computer was the old PSU from?

19. jdmek9

jdmek9 Member

it was from a hp that i had bought at a yard sale ;-P
    yeah i saw the link thats a very good price! im getting that one.
    like i said before thanks!

20. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Like I said before, welcome. lol. I have noticed that HP PSU's are usually designed for HP's only and can't do much more than just the HP computer.