1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn Button Greyed Out!

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by KirkhamJ, Feb 16, 2007.

1. KirkhamJ

KirkhamJ Member

Hey guys I'm new here, and I'm having an issue with Nero, and my dvd rw drive. Here's the problem:
    When I don't have a cd/dvd in my drive, I can click 'burn' but when I put a dvd in the burn button greys out! What the freak is going on? A little bit of background- my burner worked just fine before my computer crashed, so I know that it should work. I have Nero 7.0.1.2 Ultra Edition. Ok, I have tried 4 different dvd+r/-r's, and no go. I have tried taking the drive out and putting it back in (solved problems before). Drive specs: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B (aka LG Super Multi Dvd drive).

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You should update your Nero 7 to the latest version. A clean removal and reinstall can fix these weird Nero problems. There have been a few updates since your version as well.
    You should probably run the CleanTool for removing your current version. Make sure you have your serial number written down.

3. KirkhamJ

KirkhamJ Member

All right, I did everything that you suggested, but no luck, still greyed out! Any other ideas? I know the media works on other computers... but I have tried 4 different types! What else can I do?

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Can you watch a video or open a CD with this drive?

Lets see if Nero can detect your drive.

Open Burning ROM and close the New Compilation window. Select Recorder > Choose Recorder:

[​IMG]

That will give you the status of the drive. You should be able to eject the tray with the button.

[​IMG]

If you can do that, put a blank DVD in the drive and select "Disc Info".

[​IMG]

You should be able to see something like this:

[​IMG]

If none of this seems to be working then you will need to go into Device Manager and take a look at the drive. See if it's recognized by Windows. If it is working then you should test with a different program, like ImgBurn.

5. KirkhamJ

KirkhamJ Member

Ok update. I put a cd in the drive and it reads it just fine, but when I put a dvd in the drive, it doesn't read it. When I put the dvd in the drive the name at the top of My Computer changed from Dvd-Ram to Cd-Drive. So it isn't recognizing dvds at all....... I went into Device Manager and it says the exact name of my drive and that it is working.
    Ok, now for nero- nero recognizes my drive as well, but not the media. Nero says that just about all of the different types (dvd+/- r and rw and dl) are supported with my drive.
    What else could be my problem? Is it a driver or is it something else? I do have an auto firmware updater that came with the drive, and I have it installed, but I haven't ever seen it used, I mean it starts up with windows and everything, but it hasn't ever asked me to install anything.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

What type DVD can't it read? A blank or a burned or a commercial movie?

Some things to try:
    Try removing and reinstalling your Secondary IDE channel.
    Go into device manager:

[​IMG]

You mentioned in your first post that your computer had crashed so maybe you have some sort of ASPI problem. Look in your C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero7\Core and find wnaspi32.dll. I would think that if you downloaded and installed a Nero update that it would be there. But if not, download the file from here and place it in the Core folder:
    http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/ASPI_Driver.html
    You may just want to replace it anyhow.

You also mentioned that you had removed and reinstalled this drive to fix previous problems so maybe it's the drive itself.

As far as firmware goes the current version can be found here:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&isces
    I'd make sure to identify what firmware version you currently have because you have two choices, depending on the drive being OEM or not.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  7. KirkhamJ

KirkhamJ Member

Ok I tried everything and not a darn thing changed! I still don't want to think that it is the drive, but I'm starting to wonder..... I mean it was working just fine before the computer crashed... oh and about the computer crash, my power supply died and my hard drive went with it.... did my dvd writer go with it?????? MMMMMM..... maybe I will try putting the drive in another computer to see if that works...................

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Testing your drive in another PC is a good idea. I'd also consider replacing it. If the failing power supply killed your HD then it may have taken out your burner as well. I hope nothing else got toasted.

9. KirkhamJ

KirkhamJ Member

Something else that's weird is happening. Windows media player is starting to lock up when you try to change play lists (drop down menu that includes the drive). It keeps blinking and also says the drive is busy (has burned dvd in the drive... still doesn't recognize it though).

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Things are not looking good for this drive. I know that I would be replacing it with another real soon. I don't see anything else that would help. Having a completely different program struggle with the drive rules out Nero.

11. KirkhamJ

KirkhamJ Member

Yeah, I think so too. Do you think it could be a windows problem? Is there any possibility that windows could be the problem? I had all of the updates for windows xp before the computer crashed, and it was working like a charm... I was burning alot of dvds then, and rarely encountered a failed burn. The drive is less than a year old, I kinda doubt that it could go bad this quickly (other than being burned up). I've only been living at home for the last 7 months, and I was here to buy the drive, and it was brand new right out of the original box. Is there any way to download all of the windows updates at the same time? It seems that I am only able to download the 'express updates,' because when I click on the custom button on windows update, it never loads. I suppose that wouldn't be a question for a nero discussion though.....

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

When the PSU went out and killed this system, you said it knocked out the drive. Are you using a new hard drive? If so, did you format the drive and install a new operating system on the drive?

13. KirkhamJ

KirkhamJ Member

Absolutely, I am using a hard drive that I used for a backup hard drive. I completely formatted it and installed windows xp. What do you suggest that I do? Any ideas? It worked fine before that.

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thank you for your input PacMan. I PMed PacMan and asked him to take a look and to see if I was missing anything here. His impression is that everything is covered pretty well. I would suggest that you test the drive in another PC or replace it. All the signs are pointing towards a bad drive.

I don't think installing the Windows updates will fix this. I normally just go to the M$ site and download them. I think you need their update installer installed or something like that.

Another thing to check.
    Start your PC in Safe mode and see if you can update your drives firmware. That might get the drive to work.

15. KirkhamJ

KirkhamJ Member

All right, update! My drive can read the dvds that it has burned in the past! It can also read the dvds bought in the store! So, my drive is making improvements! My guess at this point is that I have 200+ of the wrong media! I don't have any of the old media left, but maybe I'll buy some more! I haven't tried booting in safe mode yet, but I will.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Just to review what's happening here we'll go over the steps. It's normal for the Burn to be dark before a DVD is put in the drive. It can be clicked and then the warning to put in a disc is given. It's also normal for the Burn to gray out when the DVD is put in the drive. The DVD goes through the recognition sequence and then the Burn option darkens. That's what's not happening and why the Burn in Nero is staying gray. The drive may simply not be recognizing the DVD recordable media. Before checking the drive in another PC was mentioned. That is a good idea. Has it been done yet?

[​IMG]

Normally if the HD and the rest of the PC was working right, a clean format and installation of software clears up problems, not create more. Any time there has been a power surge, either line or from a PSU failure, parts damage can occur. Here the main drive has already been replaced. It takes no stretch of the imagination to believe other components could be damaged. Fasfrank has already alluded to much of this. Even the backup drive could have been damaged. Just because a drive runs doesn't mean it's working properly and an electrical surge is a good reason for things to go haywire. Check the optical drive in another PC and also treat the hard drive as suspect.

After you do it, let us know how the optical drive checked out in the other PC.

17. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

And make sure you use good media whan you check it. Your earlier mention of what you had tried pointed me away from that. My mistake.

I recommend these. Especially the T-Ys and the Verbs.
    Taiyo Yuden, Maxell(made in Japan) Verbatim, Sony(made in japan) or TDK discs.

Check this list:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

@PakMan,
    Thanks for the hand!
    Frank

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Another thing I forgot to mention, while checking the drive in another PC, if there is a DVD RW in the other PC, see how it works in the PC having the problems. Just a quick cross check and not time consuming if you have both PCs opened up.

19. KirkhamJ

KirkhamJ Member

Well, thanks everyone for helping me out, it is appreciated! I will check the drive in another computer when I actually get a chance, I'm studying for a test right now, but I will get to it ASAP! I'm not sure when that will be, maybe tomorrow after I get home from school.

20. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hey PacMan thanks again.
    I know when I started all this ripping and burning stuff a while back I had one PC. Now I have three. I've got two burners and two ROMs in the closet. That's after I got rid of some of the older ones. It's easy to test my stuff. The thing is though it never breaks anymore.
    Kirkhamj you will get there!
    Edit: Good luck on your test!