1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burn error unable to read vob files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kirkd, Mar 19, 2004.

1. kirkd

kirkd Guest

Hello, I am having problems backing up a movie that is in spanish. I have tried using dvd x copy, dvd xpress, dvd decrypter, and dvd shrink. I get an error reading vob files 4 and 5. the dvd plays fine on my dvd player. Do I need to install something special to read the spanish audio files? Any input is appreciated. Thank you

2. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Hi kirkd,

the language has no effect whatsoever on making the backup.

Either the disc is defect - check for scratches, fingerprints i.e. and try to clean the disc with a soft dry cloth if neccessary, maybe get a disc repair kit or something if it has bad scratches.

Or, there could be something wrong in the VOBs. I can't say what those VOBs contain, it might be part of the movie, it might be some extras, it could be anything. If nothing helps you could try to make a "movie only" backup to see if those VOBs contain essential parts of the movie or not.

Well I hope you get your backup done.

3. kirkd

kirkd Guest

Hey! thanks for the response. I know it isn't the dvd itself. I did skip over the 2 vob's using decrypter then when I tried to open Dvd shrink I get an error message saying I am missing the vob's and it will not open. Any other advice? Thank you

4. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Hi again,

You cannot just unselect certain VOBs in DVD decrypter, some links in the menus will not work and thus DVD Shrink will not work either. By taking the "movie only" in DVD Decrypter, thus getting rid of the menus and extras, you might be a able to make a movie only backup of the disc.

Another option could be to try to use other rippers and compression programs you haven't tried yet, like DVD2One, CloneDVD, DVDXCopy etc...

Or, another option could be to use DVDStripper to try to preserve the menus and cut out the defect parts. Here's a guide how to use it

http://www.mpegit.net/dvdstripper_basic.php

All these suggestions of course work only if the defect VOB (assuming they are defect) do not contain parts of the movie itself.

Hope you get it figured out.

5. kirkd

kirkd Guest

I have decided to move on (spent way to much time with this one), this is the only dvd I have had problems with. Picking up new software for one dvd isn't worth it to me. Thank you for the resonse I will keep your ideas in mind if I ever want to try and back up the dvd again.