1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burn freeze

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by mayhemJ30, Mar 24, 2003.

1. mayhemJ30

mayhemJ30 Member

Hey guys this is my first post. I searched through the archives and found a lot of useful info but still need some help.
    I recently just recieved a new machine with a fresh install of XP Pro. It has AMD XP 2100, MSI KT400 MB, 256MB DDR PC3200 PC400 RAM, DVD-rom, Acer 10x8x32 CR-RW and Geforce 4 ti4200 64MB graphics card. The burner was swapped from my old machine so I know it works fine. Since installing into new machine I've had a slew of probs.
    First I was getting underrun errors but later found out I had the DVD-rom and CD-RW on same IDE cable. During switching the IDE cable setup it's apparent that unless I find a monstrous cable I'll have to set my DVD-rom as master and the HD as slave. This gave me one small boot problem but the MB figured the config up and never has been a prob since. (if this is my prob go ahead and smack me in the head and tell me about it)
    I've tried using both Easy CD creator 5 and Nero (installed seperately) and I can not complete a burn without the program freezing and crashing. It's the same story w/both burn programs. You can see the CD-RW burning but eventually the HD will stop running and info stops being transfered to the CDr and that's were it stops and freezes. I've installed the XP burner updates and the driver updates for Easy CD creator. I've yet to have a succesful burn on this machine. I've tried backing up music cd's and data/software cds.
    What do you guys think?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2003
  2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

If your running 1 hard drive, then the hard drive should be set to master, and the dvd-rom to slave m8 (primary ide channel). Set your burner on your secondary ide channel as master.

Shoey

3. mayhemJ30

mayhemJ30 Member

got it working tonight.

I ended up setting the CD-RW as slave with HD as master on IDE1 and the DVD-rom as Master on IDE2. Worked like a charm. Guess these things are picky sometimes. Thanks for the help.
    Now on to backing up cd's mwahahaha.

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Good to hear your running smooth. If you decide to add another hard drive, you can set that to slave on the secondary ide channel and leave your current configuration as is.:)

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2003