1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn MP3 files to folders on CD?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by SkyRocker, Apr 3, 2007.

1. SkyRocker

SkyRocker Member

I've been using Nero to create MP3 CD's for the car and I use folders to separate the different music, mostly by year and sometimes by artist/genre. Nero does an OK job, but I'd like to find a program that can normalize the files for loudness, bass/treble, etc while it's burning. With Nero, not sure what version, it doesn't seem to have a setting to do this and I'm constantly turning the player up/down, fiddling with the settings from one song to the next.

Can anyone recommend a program that will let me burn MP3's to folders on a CD, and also allow me to normalize the files while burning?

Thanks!

2. tootall2

tootall2 Member

I use Nero 7. First go to Nero Burning Rom. In the box at the left top of your screen click the down arrow, then CD,then put a check in the Normalize all audio files. I usually check No Pause also.
    No more manual volume to adjust.
    Enjoy

3. SkyRocker

SkyRocker Member

Thanks for the tip, I tried that and it only comes up for an audio cd which converts to *.cda and not mp3. I can only fit about 16 or so songs that way. Thanks!

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

What media player do you use? As some media players have built in functions for normalizing audio.

5. Mez

Mez Active member

PeaInAPod, you have touched on an area of extream interest for me. I have an ipod and have looked for an option like that but could not find it. Do ipods have such a feature? If not, what players do. I would steer people to those players.

6. SkyRocker

SkyRocker Member

I use windows media player to listen to mp3's on the computer, but my problem is cd's that I burn to listen to in the car. I like to put the music in different folders for example wife's musc, kid's music, my music or 60's, 70's, 80's. That way I can listen to whatever genre I'm in the mood for or mix and match.

Nero will let me burn the mp3's to cd, *in* folders, but I can't find a way to equalize or normalize the files. I have to constantly turn the volume up and down, and change the EQ settings on my car stereo (nothing fancy, a Sony Xplod that also plays mp3 files.

Just looking for something that will burn mp3's to folders AND normalize the files.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

So totall's suggestion did not work for you?

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@Mez

As far as I know there are no mp3 players that have the ability to normalize audio. There are a lot of free programs that can do it for you. Two that come to mind are the media player software MediaMonkey (it is free, no ad/spy/ware, and works with iPod) and then there is the program Audacity. I dont use Audacity as much as I used to but I am sure that their is a normalize feature in their somewere.

@SkyRocker

More than likely you will need to use a program to normalize your mp3's before burning them. Many free programs such as those listed above can do this. I know iTunes can do this but it is only when burning so you wouldn't be able to burn your music to Folders. So I would recommend looking into the software listed above, ones a media player and ones a music editing/creating software, both are free and viable options.

9. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks, you really 'nailed' that one. I am not as interested in the burned CDs and I am with the files. I don't like to touch my ipod when it is being used. It sounds like MediaMonkey the the software for me!

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

If you have any trouble with MediaMonkey let me know and I will post screenshots to walk you through the process.

11. Mez

Mez Active member

Thanks, it is a bit different than Media Player and iTunes. From what I have figured out it was some superior features. I really like the ripper which goes up to 320 BR. I like to have lots of options to choose. MM had more ripping options than I need. Which is GREAT!

SkyRocker, you might REALLY want to check it out. It has different librays modes. Like you, I do not like to have stuff organized by artist,album , tune. This has a veiw mode that uses the way you have things organized. What an idea! It also normalizes tunes probably just for loudness. I did not see any settings to change what normal is.

12. Mez

Mez Active member

PeaInAPod, Media Monkey has an anoying habbit of helping you select tunes. If I pick one tune it picks a bunch for me. How can I turn that feature off?

I am very pleased with the user interface which annoyed me at first; I am very easily annoyed. I never used the rating tool in itunes because there was not a quick easy way to enter that info. MM allows you to grade the now playing tune with a right click and 2 selects.

On my computer, MM loads 4 times slower than Media Player but still 4 times faster than itunes. I can live with that.

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Give me a while as things have been hectic and I will try and post a walkthrough and/or screenshots to help you out.

14. SkyRocker

SkyRocker Member

Mez / PeasinAPod:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll have to check out the programs you suggested and attempt to "normalize" all of my mp3's. I have quite a few, having collected vinyl for 45 years, and trying to duplicate that collection to digital files. I was more or less looking to normalize "on-the-fly" as I am burning, like Musicmatch Jukebox does when burning *.cda audio files.

My only concern is, in using a program to normalize all of my mp3's (about 1300) is what do they normalize *to*? When doing it on the fly, they are normalized to each other so it's consistent across the cd, but I'm kind of unclear as to what a general normalization wil do to the files.

There are TONS of sites though to explain this, I'll just have to do some digging, but once again, thanks for the tips and suggestions.

I really appreciate them.

15. Mez

Mez Active member

We think pretty much alike. I don't know and I could not find out easily. You could test a copy of a tune to test it out.

What software are you using to capture the sound? One of these years I am going to do my vinyl. I just plunked down some change for an older version of Roxy (something) Creator. It is supposed to be fairly good and I think it will normalize as well as other processes you might want digitizing analog. The problem would be if you have several sources each with their own standard. Which is exactly what I have. MM will normalize on the fly when burning as well. MM will normalize any given song as well. The problem with some old timers is we have tons of tunes. Anything that takes time is compounded by the tunage.

16. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@Mez,

Sorry man but I was unable to duplicate your problem nor find a option relating to it. So I can't really help you with your problem.

17. Mez

Mez Active member

No worries! I have joined the beta test group. I like what they have done so I am willing to help them out. I also hope to have access to the developers. I have 20+ years of making mistakes and even though everything is different most things do not change in developement. I already have a list suggestions/questions. Their new app is much quicker. If you do want to try it, follow their advice and back up the access file. The new app trashes it. The right thing to do is make a backup before you alter it. I know why they don't, but backing up it always best because you can always revert back for any reason. Younger teams feel they can know the minds of the customer. A more mature team knows that is not possible.