1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burn probs, last attempt on afterdawn..log posted

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by dolphyn, Sep 1, 2005.

1. andmerr

andmerr Guest

as always pete a very thought out answer, you really are a fountain of knowledge.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thanks my friend - I know about when you posted this, you should try to contact me via our other method.

Chat with you soon,

Pete

3. dolphyn

dolphyn Member

hey all, i just got way to frustrated with everything with the burner, nothign seemed to work. i figured that its probably because i needed more memory. Someone told me recently that my burner is a dvd ram and not a dvd rom .. does that mean it goes off memory. if so than that could explain alot of things. someone told me that my burner is now obsolete but i have no clue as this burner was purchased brand new from a computer store only in july 2005. ... i have upgraded my computer now as of 2 days ago so im still installing the programs i had on. i just wanted to give you all an update and to let those still strugglin with similar problems some things i found out. if anyone knows the difference between ram and rom id love to learn about what my burner does and how it works. i know nothing about it i guess. thnx

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi dolphyn,

Perhaps I can help. A DVD-RAM is usually a cartridge type disc that can be written to time after time. Only a few companies support them and small companies who backup the daily sales, work, etc on them use them most often. A DVD-ROM is what we use when we read a DVD or burn things to a DVD disc. A straight DVD ROM drive is usually a reader drive able to stop and go rapidly - that's what's needed when reading a DVD. A DVD-ROM Burner must work harder when reading a disc BUT, it can write to a DVD or CD disc.

I hope that sheds some light on the matter.

For additional information, eithjer go to the top of any page here at aD and click on the "Glossary" tab OR you might even "Google" for an answer.

Pete

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  5. dolphyn

dolphyn Member

cartridge type disk?? i dont understand that at all. so i cant use this burner for what im trying to do? (burn movies and data (programs, pictures etc)) but its a dvd/cd combo burner .. so what can i or what cant i do with the dvd part? i bought a dvd-r but it sounds like i cant even use the dvd burn part

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- As Scubes has stated, 256MB is sufficient for CD work, but for DVD work, that's insufficient total memory - you see you have virtually no free memory as it is . you need to buy another 256MB to have a reasonable/usable [bold]minimum[/bold] amount of total memory, and even then you'd have to make sure to close down as much as you can to ensure sufficient free memory during the burn process

7. dolphyn

dolphyn Member

ok so from what i read of that, i can use any disk with any type of burn? im pretty dense in the dvd department

i actually upgraded to a amd sempron 2800 i believe it is.. and i added 512 mb ram to my 256.. i tried burning a vcd on cdrw but it was still pixelated so..no clue. im gonna fiddle with it a bit more cause i just upgraded entirely.. then ill post a log

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dolphyn,

My post was designed to answer your question ~

If your burner does CD's and DVD's then it isn't a DVD-RAM drive. Your friend didn't know of where he spoke.

Pete

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dolphyn,

I think that is probably part of the problem. You haven't bothered to read anything to aid you.

Let's try some easy reading:

All you want to know about DVD's:

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3

I've already explained to you where the "Glossary" is located, between the 2, perhaps you won't be so "dense" in the DVD department.

Also, before you begin, if you wish to make a nice DVD or CD backup then you cannot use, "any disc for any type of burn." Certain discs are to be used and certain speeds should be followed to generate a good backup DVD backup. Using just "anything" for "any type of burn" will stock you with an endless number of "coasters." A "Coaster" is a DVD or CD disc which for one reason or another has not turned out and so, is totally useless for anything but a glass holder, or as your Mom might call it, a "Coaster."

Oooppps, I almost forgot to address this ~
    I hope you placed your 512MB bar in the primary slot (that would be the one your 256MB of RAM was in) then placed the lower bar in the second slot.

Because your backup was pixelated doesn't mean it is your RAM, it is probably what you're doing and what guide you're following. You need to tell us what you're using, exactly how you're using it, any settings, i.e. Burn speed, DVD Target Size, discs Mfgr and label information and who's guide you're following so we can find out why your backups are pixelating.
    In the off chance you haven't found a guide yet, find some in my sig.

We don't mind "helping you out" BUT you should make a little effort to help yourself. Your "shocked" response at my post explaining the difference between drives and your "enlightened" response to Creaky's information shows that you haven't even bothered to "Google" any information for yourself. If you have no clue about searching on the Internet, I would be glad to write you a guide to help you along. You have but to ask ~

Remember, we got where we are by doing it ourselves. We've spent days and weeks reading and searching, setting aside linlks to return too for reference. We'll be glad to link you to somethings you have trouble finding ~

Meanwhile, checkout the site I linked you to and when you find something you don't understand, check the "Glossary" to sea if the information is there. That one site should answer all of your future questions about discs and drives in general.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005