1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn Speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by movies27, Mar 24, 2005.

1. movies27

movies27 Regular member

What speeds do you all burn at?I used to burn at 8x but now I burn at 6x with my Fuji discs...just curious

2. philipman

philipman Regular member

I burn at 8x works great for me.

3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

read speed = max
    burn speed = 4x

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Fast as I can!!! :)

Seriously if you are having no errors or problems with media then you can burn as fast as the media/burner allows. However crappy media should be burned at slower speeds x4 or slower. FujiFilm are generally good media and you should be able to let it all hang out with those. After burning a DVD use Nero CD/DVD speed tool to check your disks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If everything checks out then you should be good to go :)

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yup iam with deadcat read _max burn _4X

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Max at 4x for movies, or even 2.4x and 1x ONLY for games. The difference between burning at 8x and 4x is about 5-7 minutes. Is it really worth the time saved to take a chance on a coaster? It is a fact, the faster the burn, the greater the chance for errors. This is especially true for games, even 2.4x will cause failed burns for games that won't play even if the app says the burn was successful :>)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

4x for me also. Safe and steady. I am in no big hurry,just want to do it right the first time.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This is true, and I agree however if you can get the same results at faster speeds why not do it? If you can get the same results as I posted in the pictures with burning x100 then all is fine. Now if you get any errors at all then it is time to slow it down. We generally tell people to keep the speed down to x4 or lower because they are having trouble while burning and this can usually make up for a lot of issues like poor media for one. I would say do some testing to find the perfect speed for you. I my self have tested disks at x1 all the way to x16 and they come out identical :) So I stick to the middle of the road x8 speed. SO you see it is really up to what your system and media can handle.

All my latest testing was done with a NEC 3520A DVDRW and Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 8X 4.7GB White Inkjet Printable media.

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I agree with bbmayo.

Now the difference between a burn at 16X and 8X on my burner is a little over 2 minutes, since it starts out at 8X anyway, then winds up to the 16X. So I just burn at 8X and also have no errors. I just posted 3 scans done at 8X and 16X with Sony -R and 12X with Sony +R, and all were perfect. I also agree that it depends on other factors as well, and if I ever get a coaster, I will slow it down, but so far not even one.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  10. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I always burn at the max speed of my drive. I haven't had a coaster yet. Maybe I've been lucky though. And I may begin to have problems as my burner gets older. But for now, it's great.

I did have one oddity in the past. I bought some Sony 4x media. I set Nero to burn at max speed. Somehow, the disks burned at 6x speed on the 4x media. Since I didn't have a problem with the first disk that burned like this, I just kept doing it. And I NEVER had a problem with any of the burns.

I really didn't understand this, but I think it says a lot about Sony media!

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah I can burn my TY's @ x16 and they are only rated @ x8 so I know exactly what your talking about. :)

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I my self have tested disks at x1 all the way to x16 and they come out identical :) So I stick to the middle of the road x8 speed.

Using this line of logic why not burn all your discs at 16x? It's because faster burns result in a greater chance for errors.

5 minutes just doesn't mean that much to me. I use RB/CCE which takes 3-4 hours just for the app to process the files. If you use shrink with it's quality settings you're looking at over 2 hours, what's another 5 minutes to ensure a perfect burn?

Also, with games this is especially true. Even 2.4x can cause the disc not to work.

BTW, I have also tested speeds up to 16x, some worked-some didn't. So I stick with the rule of thumb when advising newbies, 4x or less for movies and 1x for games. That way if they do have problems we can eliminate burn speed as a possible problem and concentrate elsewhere on correcting the error. Not to mention, save 'em a coaster :>)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  13. movies27

movies27 Regular member

6x works well for me ...

P.S..... Fuji is the best

14. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Im with bigo, slow and steady wins the race, 4x only for me.

15. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

Rule of thumb on Burn Speed. If you have 8x discs and your firmware is compatible and your drive is newer then by all means burn at 8x. If you have a newer drive and have 16x disks Burn them at 12x not 16x. Best all around burn speed is 4x which is close to burning a CD-ROM at 32x. Always buy quality media and if your drive is too old then consider a new burner since most can be had at around the 80 buck mark.

16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I've got my new Pioneer 109 on the way so I'm gonna be burning some T-Ys at 16X just to hear the sound it makes.

Remember when 4X was fast? Lot of folks said that 2.4X was the max they would burn at but as the burners and media improved the "ideal" burn speed has come up with it. I burn 4X DVDs at 4X and 8X at 8X so far without any problems. Of course I like to go really fast on big motorcycles too.

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey Frank, long time no talk! How goes it? Maybe you could take the muffler off that new burner and it will sound even louder,LOL.

Jim, I'm with you, I can burn at 16x, but even at 8x I've had errors and altho my Riteks are under .50 each I still can't stand to make a coaster. I've even had 4x make a coaster and when I reduced it to 2.4x it burned OK. I just don't understand all the hype over 5 or 10 minutes vs. a guaranteed successful burn(well, 99% of the time anyway).

How many times have you helped someone just by telling them to reduce their burn speed and it solved the problem? Too many to count for me.