1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn stops at 22%

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Kimchoc, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Kimchoc

Kimchoc Member

Using DVD Copy Express. Early version. After successfull read, burning stops at the 22% mark each time and the log reads:

00407400: Writing Movie:14556
    00407400: Finished.
    00407400: Writing failed (write error or process aborted):
    00407400: Drive is not ready
    00407400: Blank media has been removed

The CD is ejected. Happens each time and just started about a week or so ago.

Been using successfully with XP, and memorex DVD+ blanks. Tried a different media, same result.
    Where should I search for problems?

UPDATE, problem resolved, sorry

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  2. jez0321

jez0321 Guest

I haven't figure it out yet but I am having the same problem; it doesn't seem to matter which DVD +R media I use. I have had the problem with different software. No problem with my CDs. I also use Windows XP; I don't know if it is a glitch with the XP or the brand of DVD writer. I believe my DVD writer is an I/O Magic 8x DVD writer

3. genekoss

genekoss Member

I'm in the same boat. I'm getting the same result from each DVD media type, and software I try. I can't get it to burn past 22% or 23%. It just stops. The DVD drive hangs up and runs. Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem?

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

jez0321 & genekoss ,

Each problem is different based upon PC's, formats, s/w and media -

Entering a post that really says - "Hey, we can't burn. One of you says he's using XP as an OS the other won't tell us even that. (Your posts continue) We're both using some software but it's a secret, we're using media but that's a secret too and our PC's specs are a secret as are all programs on our PC's. We'll not tell you what format we're trying to burn, the programs we're using to do it with or the error messages we're getting BUT is there a solution to our problem ?"

The answer to the above is NO; we have no universal solutions to cover all programs and problems.

I'd like to suggest you take all the unknowns I've listed and word your questions so that you include that most important information. By describing your individual problem and supplying your personal information you'll find suggestions aimed at solving you problem will be more forthcoming.

Also, you might do better posting your new threads in the "Newbie Forum".

Cheers,

Pete

Of special note - you might want to also check the thread's dates - THIS thread was started almost 6 weeks ago. Try to post in a more current thread OR if you can't find your answer in the forum, start another thread. Happy Thanksgiving -

5. genekoss

genekoss Member

I solved my problem. I burn at 1 to 1 speed. That lets me burn past 22-23%. If I burn at 2:1 or faster I lose.

So my solution is, burn 1:1 (1x).

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi genekoss,

Something still isn't right -

You shouldn't have to burn that slowly -

What kind of media are you using ?

Pete

7. genekoss

genekoss Member

I'm using DVD+R,-R by Spin-X with 4X speed

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  9. king1199

king1199 Member

I'm having the same problem, I'm running Windows XP (SP2) with "DVD RW IDE 1008 drive" From Micro advantage, and with every softwear it's stops at 22-23%, With games and movie. I just got this drive a few weeks ago. The other one i had work just fine. Please help... I must be something with the drive.....!

10. genekoss

genekoss Member

Hey Pete

This is the info on the media:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:pRODISC-R02-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
    Manufacturer Name : [Prodisc Technology Inc.]
    Manufacturer ID : [PRODISC]
    Media Type ID : [R02]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]
    [Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]
    [ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I think that "method 2" is the problem.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Prodisc is your problem, you need a media upgrade to a better quality -

Let's take Memorex as an excellent example as DVD media goes, 90% of Memorex, made by CMC, is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception – they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can’t be trusted - “ Who’s making your Memorex tonight ?”

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren’t all that suitable as a DVD backup media – that’s why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you’ll get a “Cyclic Redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(
    Another problem which, “Pops up” is a “*Power Calibration Error”. This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A “Power Calibration Error” can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn’t usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04’s made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that “Oh no, I shouldn’t have gotten those.”

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi or RICOH are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc –

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them – what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?

When I say "Branded," that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

Cheers,

Pete

12. king1199

king1199 Member

Fanally got it to work, I use alcohol 120% and burned at 1x and made 3 backups. but there is a problem, I should not be burning at 1x all the time. Is it the dvd drive or something else?

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

King, here's a far out question, WHAT MEDIA ARE YOU USING ? ? ?

14. king1199

king1199 Member

i'm using Memorex +/-.... and Fanally got it to work, I use Alcohol 120% and burned at 1x and made 3 backups. but there is a problem, I should not be burning at 1x all the time. Is it the dvd drive or something else? with good media and bad ones.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

That's what we've been talking about - Bad media works, or doesn't work while good media works all the time.

As you've already found out, to try to get crappy media to work, one method is to lower the burning speed -

Here are some other "Tips" to try to get the cheap stuff through -

HOT TIPS for your POOR MEDIA:
    1. Here's a good fix. Compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.3GB instead of the recommended 4360MB. I.e., Go into DVD Shrink, "Edit", "Preferences" then set the "DVD Target Size" to "Custom" and enter 4300MB as the size. Reducing the amount of Data to be burned it keeps your burning away from the disc's edges where the dye on poor quality DVD discs tends to be uneven and may even be brittle and flaking.

2. You may reduce the number of errors and "artifacts" (the "freezing", "skipping" and other picture abnormalities) when burning poor media by burning at a reduced speed. It has been my experience that burning at 2.4X will succeed where faster burns will not. Don't be surprised if you have to burn at 1X. Some discs you're lucky to have it burn DVD Video at all. It will take longer but what the heck, you're saving money with those "Cheap" discs, who cares about time when you're saving $$$$ (Lol). Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program. You would be surprised how many times your disc is now "seen" :)

Best of luck,

Pete

16. king1199

king1199 Member

O.K Got it to work, With a firmware....It was not the Disc, i was about 10 firmware away. Thank you

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Great King1199,

So glad you're burning - That's the important thing, to get you squared away - As they say, "Thank God for firmware, you can't burn without it."

Peace,

Pete