1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burn without xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by matt2364, Nov 27, 2004.

1. matt2364

matt2364 Member

hey is there anyway to burn xbox games without connecting your box to your computer, bc connecting it to your computer sounds to complicated for me...

2. thejacl

thejacl Member

The only other way to get an image of an xbox game is to download it via bittorrent. If you d/l a torrent of a game, then use Craxtion to extract/patch/create the new iso, then u can burn the new iso to dvd. I have done all this but haven't tried the disc yet, but makes sense to me. The only downfall to all this is that it takes a long time to d/l xbox games, and if your on dial-up, then you just wasted your time reading this. Otherwise, enjoy.

3. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Dude, connecting your Xbox and your pc is no more difficult than connecting xbox live.

4. thejacl

thejacl Member

Very true.

5. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

6. fadedindi

fadedindi Member

Connecting to your xbox from your PC is easy. Mod your xbox and then ftp into it. Bit Torrent takes to damn long!

7. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

Just out of interest has anybody tried fitting an xbox drive into a pc then reading from it and ripping a raw data file????? all the xbox is, is a dedicated pc so the xbox drive should work in a normal PC. And all i gather is that the reason a pc cant read an xbox disk in the first place is because xbox drive's firmware is different to normal dvd drives. some say it stores the TOC in a different place etc. so normal drives don't see this and can't work out how large or how many tracks it has. I think you can put a normal dvd drive into an xbox and played ripped origanal games done solely on a PC, because alot of people do this to get around the xbox drive issue. Any one fancy fitting an xbox drive to a pc and seeing if it reads correctly!!!!!!!!!!!.

Just speculation here by the way.

8. thejacl

thejacl Member

No dude, that won't work, I guarantee it has been tried. The reason the pc can't read an Xbox dvd is because of this: a PC as we all know uses a file system commonly know as either FAT32 or most recently, and most popular NTFS. The Xbox, uses its own unique file system called FATX. Now, the only way we could incorporate FATX into some kind of emulation with the PC file system is haveing a good friend at Micrsoft who can aquire the source code for you, then you need to know someone who is a genious programmer who could put it all together, and then get sued by microsoft for doing it... :S From what I gather everything under the sun has been tried and the only real 'easy' way of doing it is to FTP to your Xbox.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...it has hapened once or twice :p

9. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

I take it hard drives can be formatted as fatx because people fit new hard drives to xboxes so if what your saying is correct and i believe it is the only real way it could be done would be to create a daul boot pc with xbox OS on one partition formatted to fatx and say xp on the other formatted to ntfs. Heres another question. Is xbox OS embedded or located on Hard disk, by this i mean is the dashboard software blasted as firmware on flash (memory hardwired to board) or is is stored on hard drive. If it's stored on the hard drive could you not take out a xbox hard drive and boot the xbox dashboard from a pc.

I might be pissing in the wind here as i'm new to xbox workings but have deep roots with pc,s and electronics.

Any ideas on any questions would be interesting

10. thejacl

thejacl Member

Well, I am almost positive that the Xbox OS is on the board itself, its not like the OS is all that big anyway right? About the dual boot, I do believe all your PC's hardware wouls have to be compatable with the Xbox OS, but even before this, how would you go about formatting a partition of your HD to support FATX? There are no CDs or anything you can get the Xbox OS from...
    I do beleive that if you take the DVD Rom out of the xbox and install it into your PC, it will act as a normal DVD Rom. See the thing is, the DVD Rom can read literally ANYTHING on ANY DVD, because all the information is is 1's and 0's, its up to the recieving end (windows, xbox) to be able to interpret what the information being sent to it is, and whether or not it is ligitimate to that particular OS.

11. fadedindi

fadedindi Member

I think the Xbox's OS is on it's HDD. The BIOS says what to boot on it's HDD. You CAN upgrade your Xbox's HDD from whatever it is now (7 or 8GB) to 120GB using a hardware swap method, a little modding, and some copying (files from the Xbox's OEM HDD to your bigger HDD).

About the Xbox's DVD drive, I think it's the firmware and probably the laser type that is installed in the drive that allows it to read the data it needs. For example a CD-ROM drive can't read a DVD disc no matter what program (or OS) you use.

12. thejacl

thejacl Member

Yeah, I see your point about the OS and I agree.

But as for the DVD Rom, like I said, 1's and 0's. The fact that you can put a DVD movie, whether its burned or original, into your Xbox and have it read, proves that it is a generic DVD drive, the disc tray is just jazzed up for the look of the xbox, hence being able to replace your DVD Rom if you break the one on your xbox. Again, the laser does not read anything other than "grooves and peaks". Generally, the only difference between a DVD and CD is the size of the laser. Obviously a DVD's laser is MUCH finer therefore making it read less area of the disc at a time, increasing the space for information.

13. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

You're right to some extent, but if that's the case, then why is it possible to change harddrives and they read?

14. fadedindi

fadedindi Member

You are right about the DVD/CD lasers.

I think someone should try to put a generic DVD drive into an xbox and see if it works. :)

15. thejacl

thejacl Member

fadedindi explained why it can be done:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  16. fadedindi

fadedindi Member

17. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Already been done. Problem is, it can't read originals, thus meaning that you can't make backups of your own, unless you have another xbox.

18. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

would it be possible for PC to boot from an xbox hard drive?? anyone tried that.

I know xboxes can run linux cause ive seen them (there just PC's in silly boxes).

So why not the reverse.

19. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but the only people that could do it are people that work for the engineering section of Microsoft. I wouldn't try it myself.

20. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

Why would they have to be part of the microsoft engineering section what diference does that make.

The xbox is a dedicated PC with a hard drive and dvd rom that is all to it really. The only real way I can see it not working is if the boot secter on the hard drive is in a diferent place to on a PC. PC's use a set location for files required on boot of a PC. The bios on the motherboard tells the PC where to look for bootable files to boot the computer.

The xbox will use the same concept as it is a motherboard pure and simple. The bios might however point to a diferent place for bootable data to start the OS.

If you think about it though you can put linux on a xbox and still boot the drive from the xbox so this tells you it is stored in the same place.

Whats so dificult whats to stop you ripping the guts out an xbox and shoving it all in a Linux PC with a 2.8 gig processor and 512meg ram.

If an XBOX can be turned into a normal linux PC (technically it already is apart from OS), then a normal PC could be turned into an XBOX, using some key components from the XBOX of course like the DVD drive and HDD.