1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burn without xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by matt2364, Nov 27, 2004.

1. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

sorry people i ment

I guess this answers my question the xbox dvd rom drive is responsible for the booting of the original disks not software on the xbox

2. thejacl

thejacl Member

Its a combination of both, cause then people would only have to do modifications to the DVD Rom.

3. kramster

kramster Guest

sorry if i sound thick but if i understand right you can copy xbox backups straight onto your pc,and burn like a normal dvd if this is the case ,what software do i need or can i just use dvd decrypter to make iso file,please could you point me in the right direction.

4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

DVD Decrypter is fine, or Nero.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  5. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

Sorry guys let me re-word what i said.

I know the xbox is responsible for booting games (originals).

But the xbox dvdrom drive is the only thing responsible for reading originals outside to in

This is proved by.

Putting a normal pc dvd rom drive in results in everything booting but originals(outside to in disks).

Putting a normal pc dvd rom drive in with modded firmware on it results in everything including originals(outside to in disks) booting.

the fact is that you have to mod the xbox before it can take standard pc drives i know but until you mod the firmware in the pc dvd rom drive itself, it will not read originals.

Once it has been modded it can play originals.

This tells us that it is the firmware in the rom drive that controls the outside to in reading method.

the way i read it is the mod to the xbox is to get the pc drive working with the xbox and the mod to the rom drive firmware is to control the outside to in method.

So an xbox rom drive might not be able to work on a pc because the bios may need modding BUT a pc rom drive with modded firmware would be able to be recognised by pc bios, then the firmware on the drive may read xbox originals outside in.

i think it would be easier to get a standard modded pc rom drive working than an xbox drive on a pc.

6. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

But why waste money? It's going to be the same result to just FTP into your xbox. It takes me about 10 minutes to backup a average size Xbox game. Plus, you have to worry about your investment. Modding the firmware could permanately damage the DVD-drive, and then you're stuck crying because you spent a $100 bucks and screwed up.

If you have spare dvd-rom drives, then by all means try it.

7. smiff6969

smiff6969 Member

i don't know where you buy your dvd drives from but i can get them for about £20 a new chip would cost me squat as i could get one from work and i'll use the programmers there to program the chip with the firmware on.

So all in all it would cost about around $30 US you call that an investment plus it means i don't have to connect my xbox up leaving a lead trailing across my lounge so my daughter and dog can chew the lead and trip over it or i could spend £100 on a wirless router hmmmmm

for the safety of my daughter and the choice of it being quicker without ftp i'll go for my cheaper option if it can be done.

so why would i be crying dude..........

does your life just consist of you coming on forums and telling people there wrong mate at least try and get some proper facts before you tell people why there wrong

8. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I'm not telling you you're wrong. Where in ANY of my posts does it say that you're wrong? I only questioned you as to why you would want to do that? If it's any offense to you, then I'm sorry.I can't get DVD drives for $30 bucks,and I don't do programming for a living, and I don't have a lounge or a daughter. So I'm sorry if I came off as being arrogant or anything. And for me, it would be an investment, because I'm not loaded with a lot of money.

9. stereofan

stereofan Member

I'm confused. If the only difference between a modded xbox drive and a dvdrom drive is the direction of the read, then why can't a raw format copy of an original disk be written back to another disk in reverse? Wouldn't that do it? That should be simple enough. Also, someone please enlighten me as to this pressed disk boot sector business; and tell me what role the xbox mod chip plays in adjusting for the difference between original and copy if such is the case.