1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned again.. Do I need a new drive?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by bob303303, Mar 25, 2007.

1. bob303303

bob303303 Member

I'm slowly going nuts trying to get my dvd burner to work, I've looked through many topics here and elsewhere and have tried many things but with no success, my concern is that my dvd burner is simply too old to be practical anymore..

Ironically, the fake discs I had initially actually did burn 'sucessfully', only they were riddled with errors and were essentially useless.

New discs give me "Burn failed @ 2.4" error just as I start.

I'll post the logfile of my last burn attempt below, but first list the things I've tried:

-New media: After discovering I had fake taiyo-yudens, I searched through a number of shops and bought some jewel-cased (seemingly) legit TDK, as they were the best that I could find.
    Model: TDK 003 000
    -Closed all programs, including my shell (litestep)
    -Scanned and removed spyware
    -Upgraded to latest firmware 1.06 dated from 2005
    -Increased swap file on my drive, set initial/max to same (except for the other partition - not the one being used for caching, does this matter?)
    -Slaughtered a chicken and in a dark, bloody ritual prayed to the DVD gods for deliverance from the evil burn-failure overlords.

Logfile:
    I'm aware that I should changed the 4482 end of disc part to 4300, I don't know where this is done in Nero though.

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

The next step would be to upgrade your Nero to 6.6.0.18 from here, BOTH packages

Package 1:
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/Nero-6.6.0.18_no_yt.exe
    Package 2:
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/NVE-3.1.0.21_no_yt.exe

I dont class TDK as good media, others may, I recommend Verbatim or Sony (made in Japan)

It looks like your burner is fairly old so it may NOT handle the newer discs...maybe you should have SOLD the chicken and purchased a new burner.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007