1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burned DVD+R disc not playing in XBox.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by QNine, Sep 19, 2004.

1. QNine

QNine Member

Hey there,

Totally new to the whole DVD burning scene, but I just got a Liteon DVD Combo drive and a Liteon DVD+/-R/RW Dual Layer burner so I decided to give it a go backing up my DVD collection.

I use an XBox as my primary DVD player (my only one really) but the DVD I burned using DVD Decrypter / CloneDVD2 didn't play in it. I am wondering if I burned the disc wrong, as it plays in my Liteon Combo drive fine. Is XBox only DVD-R, not DVD+R, or do I need to have it modded?

For those of you who do burn DVDs for viewing on XBox, could you help a newbie out and let me know how you did it?

I will DL any free program you may suggest, and I also have Nero 6 as well, but I don't really know how to use it.

Anyway, thanks in advance, hopefully I can avoid making another coaster...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  2. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

3. askyew

askyew Regular member

My son's XBOX won't play a movie for crap -,+ or original. Should have known better. I bought him a playstation last christmas and it plays em all.

4. slavlazar

slavlazar Member

From past experiences, ditch the consoles for a dvd source...they suck!
    They don't play a thing. I had a PS2, didnt play DVD-R's and now my XBox doesn't play anything either. Better spending $60 for a cheap dvd player that plays DVD-R's (my 2 cents) :D

5. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

I have an xbox, and i have no problem running burnt DVDs on it, however the problem your running into is that standard xbox players depending on your version, will only play and read DVD -R media. I had my xbox chipped, so i can play both formats, but before i had it burnt i ran into the same problem as you. I think if you burn -R media you should be fine.

6. QNine

QNine Member

Cool, I give the DVD-Rs a try, see if that fixes anything. As for the actual process, I hear DVD-Decrypter + DVD Shrink is the best way to go, would you guys agree, or do you have any other suggestions. As I said before, I'm a total noob when it comes to these things :p Thanks.

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

My XBox will play both + & - R media ... but you have to use good media. Verbatim, TDK, and Sony will work. XBox will not play Princo or [bold]ANY +/-RW[/bold] media.

Hope that helps.

Keep in mind XBox uses 3 different types of drives. Mine is the Thompson. They also use a Samsung and I can't remember the other one.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 700GB HD
    NEC 2510A, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro SP2, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  8. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  9. QNine

QNine Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I think my problem is I'm using cheap ass DVD+R discs (and I mean CHEAP, the damn things have the Target logo printed on them...) I'll have to pick up some Ritek DVD-R discs and give those a shot. Live and learn, live and learn...

10. meowmie

meowmie Member

Our x-box is picky too...

On the other hand the PS2 will play ANYTHING!!! And I mean anything including Bulkpaq

11. mannonm

mannonm Member

My Xbox is not playing all of my dvd+r's it does on occasion but it is not consistent.. i can play them if i unplug the system and unplug my dvd plugin and plug it back in.. and then sometimes it will only play the 2nd disc... i think the dvd+r is just wearing out over time.. should i try to clean my lens do you think this will help my xbox to read the disc?